Re: ZoneAlarm Plus Problems - New Release Of ZA

Date: 06/22/02

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 16:33:34 -0400

I have a copy of ZoneAlarm Pro sitting here. I switched to Tiny Personal
Firewall and I've been happy since. I was terribly disappointed with ZA.
Look for a Rules based firewall like Tiny.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wrote this in another post, but this is part of it - just some thoughts:

Which is OK if you start things up after Windoz has loaded. Remember:

There is no doubt that ZA causes problems with certain applications and
system services which load during startup. I think it boils down to what
programmers call a "race-condition" -- and as long as ZA loads first, things
are fine, but if it doesn't then ZA doesn't handle it very gracefully.
Especially true of Windows 9x/ME.

You *can* control the startup order of certain things, basically groups of
items -- but you can't control the startup order of items within a group.
For example, on Windows 9x/ME the programs are started in the following
order:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
<Logon Prompt>
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
StartUp Folder
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

And on Windows NT/2000/XP, programs are started in the following order:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceGroupOrder
<Logon Prompt>
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
StartUp Folder
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

The problem is that many things (such as ZoneAlarm & Apache for instance)
are typically included in the same startup grouping, and since there is no
way to control the order within a group, you get a race-condition. Windows
basically fires up everything in a group all at the same time, and which
ever programs load & initialize the fastest will (generally speaking) get
loaded first before the others.

On 6/21/02 10:51 PM in article 3d13e596.2787576@news.earthlink.net, Fred
Tate at fwtate@earthlink.net wrote :

> [...]
>> functioned, all program controls worked as they did with the free version or
>> worked as expected after tweaking the settings with features unavailable in
>> the free version). However, I ultimately uninstalled it because I wanted
>> something that didn't have the "extras" included with Pro (ad blocking,
>> etc.). I used GoBack to completely remove any traces of Pro and restored my
>> computer to its previous state ... the free version of ZoneAlarm was
>> restored and again functioned normally. I continued my search for a more
>> feature rich firewall without the gimmicks. After looking for a couple of
>> days, I ran across a link in one of the Gibson Research Corp. (GRC) forums
>> which led to ... lo and behold... Zone Alarm Plus...a new version of
>> ZoneAlarm that is essentially the Pro version but without cookie blocking
>> and ad blocking. Because its just out, Zonelabs is offering the program for
>> $15 off reg. price which makes it about half the price of the Pro version.
>> I, at first, had some concerns that the Plus version was not officially
>> released to the public because the link was so obscure (no link from their
>> home page...its buried in the website), but Zonelabs had it available from
>> their store for sale. I figured for $25, what the heck.
>>
>> However, the file that I paid for and downloaded is essentially trash, at
>> least on my computer. Nothing worked: connections could frequently not be
>> obtained, and if they were, ZA Plus did not indicate that any programs were
>> accessing the internet though they were; furthermore, I received no prompts
>> for those programs that I had set for "ask permission"; Internet Explorer
>> would start but no pages would load while ZA Plus was loaded; AOL Instant
>> Messenger would show as a running process but the GUI did not appear on the
>> desktop, etc. etc. etc. When I tried to shutdown ZA Plus through various
>> means ...normal, forced, etc... ZA Plus would freeze, ultimately causing a
>> power-off re-boot. So, after uninstalling and re-installing several times
>> trying the upgrade install and clean install acouple times each, I finally
>> gave up. I restored my computer with GoBack,and I'm now fully functional
>> again with the free version of Zone Alarm. I figure if what I downloaded is
>> a beta (even though I was "allowed" to pay for it), I'll eventually be able
>> to use my registration key with the final release. I just wish the ZA
>> website had posted the file as beta instead of for sale (I assume pay =
>> final). In the meantime, I'm just curious about what I've got here.
>>
>> I cannot find much info about ZA Plus outside of GRC and no one there seemed
>> to have used it yet, they were just talking about its recent release.
>>
>> By the way, I'm still running Win 98 but that seems irrelevant in light of
>> the fact that the free version works, the Pro trial worked, and the Plus
>> version is supposed to work with that OS.
>>
>> Anybody have any information. I'll likely send this to ZoneLabs soon, but I

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ZoneAlarm Plus Problems - New Release Of ZA
    ... I have a copy of ZoneAlarm Pro sitting here. ... system services which load during startup. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: zonealarm waiting forever for truevector service to load
    ... reversed sequence - couldn't load Norton Antivirus Pro 2003 at start ... it in Start-up menue, NAV was back, but this time ZA's Truevector ... Thus I am pretty sure it is NAV pro 2003 together ... >startup that is conflicting with the TrueVector loading. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Windows fault or ZoneAlarm3.0.133........................?
    ... I would shut ZoneAlarm down for kazza then ... Is there any way to tweak ZoneAlarm to load ... you can download ZAPlus (which is Pro without the Privacy) ... Hopefully, you are running Kazaa Lite, as regular ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Taskmanager load at Startup
    ... does not load the Taskmanager in XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup)
  • Re: Programs starting automatically
    ... Flip to the startup tab and uncheck the programs that you do not want to load at startup. ... "Larry" wrote in message ... >I am OS is XP Pro. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)