Re: ZoneAlarm Plus Problems - New Release Of ZA

Date: 06/22/02

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 02:51:52 GMT

I'm sure glad I checked this news group. I also just received the
e-mail offering the new version of ZA for $24.95 (download version).
It specifically states that you should not uninstall your present
version as the new one needs it to pick up your present settings. Not
sure if I want to go thru that mess or not now. Thanks for your post.

Fred

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:20:57 GMT, "BDK" <bdk@prod.net> wrote:

>I recently had a need for some of the features in ZoneAlarm Pro after having
>used the free version for quite a while. I downloaded the trial version of
>Pro and everything worked as expected (no blue screens, all connections
>functioned, all program controls worked as they did with the free version or
>worked as expected after tweaking the settings with features unavailable in
>the free version). However, I ultimately uninstalled it because I wanted
>something that didn't have the "extras" included with Pro (ad blocking,
>etc.). I used GoBack to completely remove any traces of Pro and restored my
>computer to its previous state ... the free version of ZoneAlarm was
>restored and again functioned normally. I continued my search for a more
>feature rich firewall without the gimmicks. After looking for a couple of
>days, I ran across a link in one of the Gibson Research Corp. (GRC) forums
>which led to ... lo and behold... Zone Alarm Plus...a new version of
>ZoneAlarm that is essentially the Pro version but without cookie blocking
>and ad blocking. Because its just out, Zonelabs is offering the program for
>$15 off reg. price which makes it about half the price of the Pro version.
>I, at first, had some concerns that the Plus version was not officially
>released to the public because the link was so obscure (no link from their
>home page...its buried in the website), but Zonelabs had it available from
>their store for sale. I figured for $25, what the heck.
>
>However, the file that I paid for and downloaded is essentially trash, at
>least on my computer. Nothing worked: connections could frequently not be
>obtained, and if they were, ZA Plus did not indicate that any programs were
>accessing the internet though they were; furthermore, I received no prompts
>for those programs that I had set for "ask permission"; Internet Explorer
>would start but no pages would load while ZA Plus was loaded; AOL Instant
>Messenger would show as a running process but the GUI did not appear on the
>desktop, etc. etc. etc. When I tried to shutdown ZA Plus through various
>means ...normal, forced, etc... ZA Plus would freeze, ultimately causing a
>power-off re-boot. So, after uninstalling and re-installing several times
>trying the upgrade install and clean install acouple times each, I finally
>gave up. I restored my computer with GoBack,and I'm now fully functional
>again with the free version of Zone Alarm. I figure if what I downloaded is
>a beta (even though I was "allowed" to pay for it), I'll eventually be able
>to use my registration key with the final release. I just wish the ZA
>website had posted the file as beta instead of for sale (I assume pay =
>final). In the meantime, I'm just curious about what I've got here.
>
>I cannot find much info about ZA Plus outside of GRC and no one there seemed
>to have used it yet, they were just talking about its recent release.

> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ZoneAlarm Plus Problems - New Release Of ZA
    ... e-mail offering the new version of ZA for $24.95 (download version). ... >I recently had a need for some of the features in ZoneAlarm Pro after having ... >home page...its buried in the website), but Zonelabs had it available from ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Project 2007 Trial - Cannot Save or Save As
    ... option about connecting to a project server? ... Project Pro running ever since loading it. ... Would you advise that I remove Project Pro Trial, then download the ... I suggest seeing if you can download the Standard version. ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Office XP Service Pack 3 problem
    ... It still prompted me to insert Microsft XP Pro ... Even though I didnt have the disk I hit OK and then it ... says "The path Microsoft Office XP Pro with Frontpage cannot be found. ... important updates in SP3 but I cannot download them. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: ZoneAlarm ver 5.0.590.015
    ... of ZoneAlarm Pro. ... > hrs/day & the only additional software I use is Mailwasher Pro & Pop-up ... The file wouldn't download. ... There are hundreds of posts on their web site forums! ...