Re: No attack = true stealth?

From: slow mongoose (butcherofprague@excite.com)
Date: 06/20/02

From: "slow mongoose" <butcherofprague@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:08:56 GMT

".." <freestooges@aol.com.aol.com> wrote in message
news:20020619203542.09354.00001797@mb-mq.aol.com...
> Should I be concerned if I haven't been attacked at all since I installed
NIS
> Pro 2002 and closed the last opening UPNP port? No, not even 1 single
> "visitor" in 24 hrs! I used grc.com, pcflank and sygate to scan my ports
and
> they all said my PC is stealth and the firewall is very aggressive. I'd
rather
> be paranoid than to have a false sense of security.

A good question!! (that I can't answer--sorry!)....
I installed a new firewall last Friday and have the same
situation as yourself --- no attacks at all!!
Makes you wonder what's happening-- or not happening
for that matter!!

I also ran the Shields Up! and closed off ol' sly port 5000-- makes you feel
good to be in stealth mode (although it only shows 10 ports), but you kind
of
feel "uneasy" if the evil ones NEVER attack-- just
doesn't seem right! {:-)

A false sense of security it could be.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Some new SSH exploit script?
    ... > port is a bid for security through obscurity. ... Not because of security concerns but simply to better view my ... The only advantage of moving to a non-standard port is minimizing automated attacks and reduced logfile noise. ... As attacks through web applications continue to rise, you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Remote Desktop vs VPN on Windows 2003
    ... > default SQL port to anything else, they would have never been touched by ... risk posed by slow insidious attacks when defenders are always facing off ... > characters) to prevent every SQL scanning worm in existence. ... > security through obscurity doesn't work, when clearly it does have its ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Need help from a group of experts. I am not a network expert but I play one on tv.
    ... If I had half a penny for every port scan and "bot" initiated attack, ... The single most important thing when it comes to firewalls and security. ... Restricting POP3 e-mail on your network is a step in a right direction. ... most attacks are coming from owned machines. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: autoblocking many ssh failed logins from the same IP....
    ... Defending Against Attacks ... ports can be bombarded with login attempts using common ID/PW ... To the firewall these all look like legitimate packets. ... The simplest defense is to change the port numbers these services ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Blocking attacks from spoofed IP addresses
    ... cause a _Self_ Denial Of Service attack. ... Defeating Denial of Service Attacks ... of our DMZ servers, and had source IPs from our public DNS servers. ... Web services are on your port 80 and/or 443, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)