Re: 3Com Superstack 3 or Sonicwall PRO 300

From: KooZee (koozee@cyberdude.com)
Date: 10/31/02

From: "KooZee" <koozee@cyberdude.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:57:28 -0500

FYI - 3Com OEM's the SonicWALL firmware for their boxes. Then again, so did
webramp, and some of the Netgears today underlying design is SonicWALL's. I
guess 280,000 boxes worldwide can't be wrong!

Maybe the user was unstable and not the box? We have 33 SonicWall's with
their global management system. Like any other piece of hardware, nothing
is 100%.

We also have PIX's, BorderWare, Watchguard's and Cyberguard. All of them
have their merits. Look at the recurring costs - yearly support, firmware
updates, hardware replacement. Once you get the boxes running, you pretty
well leave them alone.

"W. B." <civikminded@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I did have stability problems with my Sonicwall, I still have a Tele3 in
my
> orgnazation that crashes bi-weekly.
>
> Without know the specifics of your organization, and what applications you
> have, I would be hesitent to say "Here, this one" I can only relate my own
> personal experience. Honestly, I know nothing about the Superstack. For
> all I know it is the best firewall made, and also makes great coffee. I
> have had positive experiences with: Watchguards, Netscreens, and (limited
> experience) PIX's (although I have issues with Cisco's licencing, the
> hardware itself seems good.) All would have a product that would meet
your
> needs. Currently, at the central office I am using a Netscreen-50 with
> InsideOut Firewall reporter by www.stonylakesolutions.com. I guess I
> couldn't me more content with the setup.
>

> "Keith Whyte" <chemo@buca.org> wrote in message
> > Sorry, I should have left that VPN info out, 200 licenses will be more
> than
> > enough. Though I will have a large number of remote users.
> >
> > The criteria is that it needs to be easy to set up and stable. That
> worries
> > me that you say that you had problems, and from what I can see their
> support
> > isn't up to much either.
> >
> > It should have a DMZ port (for email/web server) and have good
reporting.
> > don't really need web filtering or anti-virus features.
> >
> > I ended up with these two after deciding that I need a hardware as
opposed
> > to software solution and these two came out best in a labs test in PCPro
> and
> > I thought they fulfilled my need. Also they were the best I could get
> within
> > my allocated budget. Not very scientific I'm afraid.
> >
> > "W. B." <civikminded@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > My advice is dont use how many VPN clients you get as the basis of
your
> > > decision. Both of these products use the IRE SafeNet-PK VPN Client.
> The
> > > software is licenced from a seperate company, and costs them almost
> > nothing
> > > to provide, but their marketing departments know that people like the
> word
> > > 'unlimited'.
> > >
> > > I had a pro 300 for a while. I found it to be easy to use, but rather
> > > unstable.
> > >
> > > What criteria do you have, and how did you end up with these two?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New 32-bit (x86) computing options from Sun, Oracle, and Red Hat explained today.
    ... Because Dell systems are generally crud. ... which turns out to be that the hardware timer tick ... As far as these flaky boxes go, ... for the first time so I can put in a bigger drive then maybe I'll grab ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Embedded Linux / Hardware Wiz
    ... We seek someone to consult/advice on both the purchase of hardware used ... manufacturer to build and service the boxes under contract. ... The Operating System / Package management system design should meet the ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: New servers dead! URGENT!!!
    ... It *HAS* to be hardware related. ... first isolate each machine. ... common factor was that fried four different servers at the ... > had begun dev the boxes this morning turned out altogether fried. ...
  • Re: Solaris and Linux comparison
    ... not a dumb terminal- its target hardware for OS development. ... it will eventually be adapted to deployed SMP hardware. ... The "dumb terminals" I mentioned are boxes I have no operational ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)