Re: NetBEUI and security

From: Calvin Crumrine (nospam@example.net)
Date: 10/29/02

From: Calvin Crumrine <nospam@example.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:26:59 -0900

W. B. wrote:
>>Since there is no way to 'control' traffic at
>>a low level, (unlike TCP/IP and firewalls etc.) does this actually
>>increase risk, for example trojans 'information gathering' unseen via
>>NetBEUI?
>

> I would think this would be a moot point, If you are using exclusively a
> non-routable protocol, there would be no way for the trojan to 'phone home'
> anyway. Your LAN would be exactly that, and only that; a Local Area
> Network.
>
> This sounds like a good plan security wise, but I would study the
> implications to make sure you know what you are getting into from a network
> functionality standpoint. How to get users access to E-mail comes to mind.
> Exchange?
>
> "craig" <craig.athome@virgin.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>I'm considering using NetBEUI on a small network with internet access,
>>for file and print sharing. i.e remove TCP/IP bindings from the
>>networking client.
>>My motivation for this is simply another layer of security, due to the
>>non routable nature of NetBEUI.
>>
>>The network is only about 40 users so I'm ok with the viability of
>>NetBEUI, however I wondered what the opinion was on security
>>implications as a whole. Since there is no way to 'control' traffic at
>>a low level, (unlike TCP/IP and firewalls etc.) does this actually
>>increase risk, for example trojans 'information gathering' unseen via
>>NetBEUI?
>>
>>Any thoughts on the matter appreciated
>>
>>TIA
>>Craig

If I'm reading it correctly, he's loading TCP/IP for Internet access-but
not bound to the network client or to file & printer sharing. And he's
also loading NETBEUI for LAN access, binding it to the network client &
to file & printer sharing. Therefore, not only would the clients have
email access but any Trojans would also be able to phone home.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NetBEUI and security
    ... TCP/IP is the least safe and slowest of the network protocols. ... >be transmitted over NetBeui. ... >regards to the LAN traffic. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How to restore NetBEUI on XP
    ... If he's like many of us, for some reason TCP/IP does not work for our needs ... NETBEUI often solves networking problems in a small home network ... Windows XP Network Protocols ... instance of a dedicated hardware firewall. ...
  • Re: NetBEUI and security
    ... (unlike TCP/IP and firewalls etc.) does this actually ... > increase risk, for example trojans 'information gathering' unseen via ... implications to make sure you know what you are getting into from a network ... > I'm considering using NetBEUI on a small network with internet access, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: NetBEUI and security
    ... > I'm considering using NetBEUI on a small network with internet access, ... > non routable nature of NetBEUI. ... (unlike TCP/IP and firewalls etc.) does this actually ... Our internet access is over TCP/IP. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Network Connection Protocol
    ... Windows Update Web site or a manufacturer's Web site. ... Network Connection Protocol ... Support for the NETBEUI protocol is not available in Windows XP. ... there are 5 different TCP/IP option on there. ...