Re: How can I make the server to call back to client without being blocked by firewall.

From: jeff Lee (jeff-lee@attbi.com)
Date: 09/30/02


From: "jeff Lee" <jeff-lee@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 01:52:04 GMT

Thanks Bernie.

You helped me cleared sth.

Our application will have thousands of clients, and any one of them can make
connection to any one of others via our server. Therefore, our server has
to somehow do a call back to tell the called client that somebody is trying
to
reach him. I am sure we will hit fire wall when our server tries to open a
connection
to the client.

We don't want to slack the client's fire wall at all, so I am thinking
an always on TCP connections from the clients to our server may solve the
problem.
Anyway all the clients have to log in before they can make a call or be
called.

Do you think this will work?

Also since UDP is connectionless protocol, it won't work for this, will it?

Thanks.

Jeff

"Bernie M" <while_up_late@night> wrote in message
news:3d966c92$0$23173$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> "jeff Lee" <jeff-lee@attbi.com> wrote in message
> news:7Vil9.38097$wH.4116@sccrnsc01...
> > All,
> >
> >
> > We are developing a client server applications, and speculating that
> > the server may have the problems to make call backs
> > because of the firewall.
> >
> > Can anybody tell me what technics / protocol to use to solve the
problem?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jeff
> >
>
> When you say "call backs" do you mean the server will initiate a TCP
session
> back to the client?
>
> To "solve the problem" you should be speaking to the firewall
administrator.
> As an application developer you should be able to provide the
administrator
> with specific information about what protocols, port numbers (perhaps even
> application specific url's etc.) that your application will need allowed
> through the firewall.
>
> The last thing you want to do is to get off-side with those that can help
> you and, besides, you don't want to do anything that puts the companies
> network at risk do you? Attempting to get around any restrictions may be
> (should be) a sackable offence.
>
> BernieM
>
>



Relevant Pages

  • Re: .Net Scalability problem
    ... LoadRunner will peak out a server with a few virtual users. ... To get an idea of load, ... Fire off the test client and watch the number of ... > So I think that the MTC generate concurrent connection and per ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet)
  • Re: Connection lost at same time every hour (sometimes)
    ... After making the two following alterations on the server the problem seems ... After analyze your ipconfig on SBS and client, ... Then, other connection is good, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: server disconnection - very often
    ... Reason of permanent popups is VMware server aplication on clients. ... Run CEICW to configure the network of SBS: ... Two network adapters - manual router connection to broadband ... Uninstall VMware on client. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Lan setup 2 nic
    ... The external nic only has TCP/IP enabled. ... Ipconfig of the server is looking good, but the client is still missing the ... > connection so we have a 2 nic with router setup now. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Regular disconnections from remote web workplace
    ... I can connect to office server and all office clients from home at all times ... be physically working right up until the connection is lost. ... If I enter http://companyip from a client I receive the login screen for the ... Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)