Re: How can I make the server to call back to client without being blocked by firewall.

From: jeff Lee (jeff-lee@attbi.com)
Date: 09/30/02

From: "jeff Lee" <jeff-lee@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 01:52:04 GMT

Thanks Bernie.

You helped me cleared sth.

Our application will have thousands of clients, and any one of them can make
connection to any one of others via our server. Therefore, our server has
to somehow do a call back to tell the called client that somebody is trying
reach him. I am sure we will hit fire wall when our server tries to open a
connection
to the client.

We don't want to slack the client's fire wall at all, so I am thinking
an always on TCP connections from the clients to our server may solve the
problem.
Anyway all the clients have to log in before they can make a call or be
called.

Do you think this will work?

Also since UDP is connectionless protocol, it won't work for this, will it?

Thanks.

Jeff