Re: Netscreen 5 login

From: wparish@yahoo.com
Date: 06/28/02

From: wparish@yahoo.com
Date: 27 Jun 2002 15:58:33 -0700

For what you're doing WINS may be overkill anyway. If you're just talking about
5 clients, you may want to consider using a HOSTS file instead. Make sure your
DHCP lease is configured long enough that your office PC's won't change IP's,
then at your home computer make an entry for each PC and it's IP (check the
hosts.sam file for the syntax)
Keep it simple, something like
192.168.0.2 frontdesk
192.168.0.3 backoffice

Even when it's done, you probably won't be able to browse. But if you know the
name of the share you want to access over the VPN, at that point you can map the
drive by unc by typing it \\frontdesk\share

As a final P.S. on windows 9x hosts is in your windows directory, on nt/2k/xp
it's in winnt\system32\drivers\etc

In article <adi0ut$bph$1@aken.eed.ericsson.se>, "Wolfgang says...

>specify on the client the WINS server in the company network, then it should
>work.
>

>"Huff" <huffjs2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Not to sound like a TOTAL idiot, but I am running a small peer-to-peer
>> network with no dedicated server. How would I go about setting up WINS
>> to handle this? Or is there a better way?
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>>

>> "Derek Nash" <dnash@tiny.net> wrote in message
>> > Name Resolution. Try manually configuring your WINS & DNS server
>addresses
>> > on your home PC.
>> >
>> > "Huff" <huffjs2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Netscreen 5 login
    ... clients, you may want to consider using a HOSTS file instead. ... >specify on the client the WINS server in the company network, ... >> network with no dedicated server. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: the hosts file
    ... putting the hosts file on the AD/DNS as well. ... I would try it on the AD/DNS machines first. ... The reason I would not try it on the ISA is because the ISA is not always ... Sometimes the Clients do their own resolution ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: Office 2007 slow to open files stored on SBS 2003
    ... just follow as I mentioned - open notepad and then type EXACTLY ... hosts file in WinSxS actively used by the OS during normal operation. ... is disabled on both client and server. ... clients with new 64 bit Windows 7 clients on which we have installed ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Client Web Surfing
    ... Have you inspected your hosts file on the workstation to make sure ... Does this issue occurs to all of the clients computers? ... firewall installed on the client and add the needed websites to the Trust ... run CEICW on the SBS again to have a try. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [PHP] Wanted PHP Developers LogicManse
    ... I might have been a bit flippant in my remark -- but I have had too many ... clients who think the web is print and that's a big mistake. ... I didn't think it was flippant by any means. ... More full-root dedicated server packages: ...
    (php.general)