Re: Free Firewalls: ZoneAlarm vs Tiny Personal Firewall

From: John Smith (
Date: 06/16/02

From: John Smith <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:24:36 +0000 (UTC)

janus wrote:

> TPF 2.0.15 is outdated. Try same tests with Kerio Firewall 2.1.4

Thanks for the tips! As you already know from the earlier postings, after
ZoneAlarm 2.6.362 I tried Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.4, Agnitum Outpost
Firewall Free 1.0.1804.2212, and Sygate Personal Firewall 5.0 Build 1117.

All the four firewall programs passed the three security tests
(,,, and that's enough for me. Maybe the
programs are quite about as secure. But I can only use one, so maybe the
criteria for selecting the program is with usability and user's
preferences and needs.

Tiny and Kerio have almost identical user interfaces. I don't like it when
the logo of either of the programs appears before logging on Windows.
Windows seems to start slower with Tiny or Kerio installed, but I haven't
taken time, so I can't say about that - maybe I just imagine slower
startup. Agnitum and Sygate have some similarities with their interfaces.

I like the ZoneAlarm's User interface the most, but Sygate gives the most
information about programs when I use them at the first time.

But the programs don't give enough information about the packets to my
needs. ZoneAlarm gives a warning from maybe almost every suspicious packet,
and I like that. But, when wanted, I want to see all the fields of the
suspicious/damaging TCP/UDP/ICMP packages/messages, like e.g. ICMP message
types (0 - Echo Reply, 3 - Destination Unreachable, 4 - Source Quench, and
so on).

After trying all the programs, I still like ZoneAlarm and Kerio the most.
But all the programs do their job, so it seems to me to be a matter of
taste, which program you choose, though the firewall program should be
updated regularly because of the new threats some people will invent.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Regarding sygate and Kerio (TPF)
    ... I've had pretty great results with Kerio Free pfw v2.14. ... tests using TaskInfo 2002 Sygate uses over twice the ram, ... >> How many umbrellas does one person need on a rainy day? ... >> One firewall is adequate and this is echoed in every software ...
  • Re: Understanding Firewalls
    ... >> and it is not aplication based firewall neither. ... > (Outpost, Kerio, Sygate, and ZoneAlarm) give control of IP numbers, Ports ... Outpost Pro is very nice, haven't had any problems so far. ...
  • Re: Agnitum Outpost FW users?
    ... > opinion of the product? ... please share your opinions about this firewall. ... I am a bit used to Kerio, ... considering switching to Outpost. ...
  • XP firewall woes - help please
    ... ethernet LAN ... enable any firewall 98se cant see the internet..... ... i like sygate and kerio both being quite configurable... ...
  • Re: kerio or psygate
    ... do a reasonably decent job and a lot comes down to personal preference. ... recently switched from ZAF to Sygate because I wanted a bit more control. ... firewall but likes the convenience of a plug and play firewall and ... Kerio is for someone who wants complete control ...