Re: Curious about this Linux

From: OL (oborgeau@worldcom.ch)
Date: 05/28/02

From: "OL" <oborgeau@worldcom.ch>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 02:22:53 +0200

Hello Duane,

Do not make mistakes ... ;>))

A firewall is finelly not so "High technology", and filtering in TCP/IP is
something actually well-known aroud the world.

In fact, Microsoft use the same technology than everyone, that was
developped years ago.

But anyway, it is not so easy to secure a linux box. To ease of setup, you
can use a "special packaged Linux distrib" that is pretuned to be an very
effective firewall.

Few of them are good, but you should consider www.astaro.com (A german
distrib wich it is used in many hard firewall) as one of the best.

It is free to dowload, and well documented. But you have to pay to get some
support.

This is there business model.

Best regards,

Oliver

"Duane Arnold" <darnold92@Insightbb.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
fUzI8.44637$352.2959@sccrnsc02...
> When Linux starts putting money in my pocket like Microsoft is doing, then
> will consider it. I don't see that happening for me.
>
> "Bit Twister" <BitTwister@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 27 May 2002 23:31:39 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:
> > > What is the deal with Linux being used as a firewall. How is this more
> > > secure then the solutions for Microsoft?
> > > I am always ready to learn.
> >
> > Put your money where your mouth is. Free up ~4 gig on your disk.
> >
> > http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
> > under CheapBytes CDs (top left)
> > contains linux x86 Install cds for ~$2 each and up + shipping
> >
> > Get the Linux Mandrake 8.1 3 cd set or 8.2 if running win 2000/XP
> >
> > For people accross the pond,
> > http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
> > http://www.linux123.co.uk/
> >
> > and for the down under fokes
> > http://www.cetustech.com.au/
> >

> > Mandrake is based on Redhat, has more utilities, a much
> > better user friendly installer.
> >
> > Pick custom/expert install if you do not want to wipe
> > your disk. Load cd and read the docs with your browser.
> >
> > Install docs are on the Mandrake cd and readable via Micro$not.
> >
> > For hardware compatibility
> > http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3
> > http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/index.html
> > http://lhd.datapower.com
> >
> > > I have
> > > to think that the only advantage Linux has is that it is not as
popular
> as
> > > Microsoft, and therefore, not variously being attacked.
> >
> > No, user accounts on linux cannot write to system files like Micro$not.
> >
> > > This is an IBM product, which I have worked on for a lot of years
mostly
> > > mainframes. I know they are just as weak as everyone else. I cannot
> believe
> > > that Linux is that good.
> >
> > Those two sentences look like flame bait to me.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Curious about this Linux
    ... A firewall is finelly not so "High technology", ... In fact, Microsoft use the same technology than everyone, that was ... it is not so easy to secure a linux box. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Curious about this Linux
    ... > What is the deal with Linux being used as a firewall. ... > Microsoft, and therefore, not variously being attacked. ... There are probably more Linux firewall boxes than Microsoft ones out ... Some of the *BSDs are more secure, but a properly set up Linux ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • antwort kretschmer zum thema PATCH
    ... es ist halt schon so das Microsoft Betriebssysteme im Desktop Cient Bereich ... Sicherheit nicht das selbe wie eine Firewall wie zb Linux unter Red-HAT oder ... Die Möglichkeit der Einstellung das anpassen an bedrohung ist bei Linux auf ...
    (microsoft.public.de.security.heimanwender)
  • Re: Curious about this Linux
    ... > What is the deal with Linux being used as a firewall. ... > popular as Microsoft, and therefore, not variously being attacked. ... The operating system is much cheaper than Microsoft. ... If you are looking for a firewall that is separated from any of your ...