Re: noobie needs advice

From: just a noob (
Date: 05/17/02

From: just a noob <>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 21:44:44 GMT

On Fri, 17 May 2002 21:11:14 GMT, (Larry W4CSC)

>You got it right. You plug the WAN port of the router into the cable
>modem. Then plug each NIC of each computer into one of the LAN ports
>on the router. Detailed instructions come with them.
>Set the computers for automatic IP, disable DNS, WINS to DHCP, same as
>you do for a dynamic cable setup. You're computer's probably already
>setup for dynamic IP on the box.
>Unplug the cable modem, temporarily.
>Then, after plugging it all in, turn on the router first and wait for
>the lights to stop blinking. Then, turn on the main computer you had
>plugged into the cable modem. It will be configured on Netgear as
> automatically.
>Open Internet Explorer and enter
>The webpage in the router is for the basic setup and maintenance. It
>will ask for a username and password. The defaults are listed in the
>instruction manual. Once you get the webpage opened up, the Netgear
>Wizard will run. Open up the Network of the main computer to get its
>groupname, domain name (usually your isp) and note the IP it assigned
>to the computer ( Type in the computer name, domain name
>and on the last page of the Wizard you'll see a prompt about SPOOFING
>where you enter the IP of the computer to get the NIC's MAC address
>from ( Turn the spoofing on and the cable company can't
>tell you're running a router...(c;....unless they break into your

What is spoofing? RR only gives me one public IP, does this give me
more public IP's?
BTW what is wrong with running a router that RR would not like?

> [...]
>him to the router port and we plugged his notebook in. By the time it
>booted, he had full high speed internet service and was ready to
>Netgear Rocks! I got 3 computers running 24/7 on it. Because NONE of
>your computers is actually ON the internet, none of the script kiddies
>little scanners can get to your box UNLESS you have a trojan listening
>for a call. You don't need a firewall. It will never alarm. You
>need a virus scanner with current definitions like Norton Anti-Virus
>and you're ready to run without sucking up all your CPU clocks with
>software firewall overhead. The only way to get to the computers on
>the LAN is to FORCE open a port with the PORTS list on the router
>webpage or have a trojan running to force open a port. All other
>scans never make it past the router and go nowhere....(c;
>"Nothing's funnier than an Outlook Express user with a firewall."
>On Fri, 17 May 2002 04:13:10 GMT, just a noob <> wrote:
>>Sorry this got a bit complicated for me.
>>I have one IP available from my ISP I know public IPs is different
>>than private IPs.
>>So I would plug in my 3 com sharkfin to this router then the computers
>>into it?
>>I know I can not plug my modem into my hub because it has only 3
>>copper pins on the ethernet clip and the ethernet clips I use on the
>>home network have 8.
>>I know a hub is different from a router but I don't know why.
>>I might sound as confusing to you as you did to me.
>>On Fri, 17 May 2002 03:49:20 GMT, (Larry W4CSC)
>>>Why not just buy a $69 cable router/switch like the Netgear RP114 I'm
>>>using here. None of your computers are sucked up with running server
>>>softwares. The NAT of the router protects your machines from outside
>>>calls and DoS attacks because none of your computers is hooked to the
>>>internet....unless you expose a specific port or range of ports for
>>>some reason. Not having to run firewall software frees the computers
>>>up for actual use, they all run faster without the loads. Each
>>>computer will have its own LAN address. Mine is at this
>>>moment. The router has its own DHCP server and spoofs the MAC address
>>>of any of the computers so cable can't even tell you have a router.
>>>Computer to computer access is fast and very reliable from IP to IP
>>>right through your router, if you desire. Before you get your fingers
>>>off the Ethernet plug, the Netgear's DHCP has leased an IP to your
>>>notebook the instant you plug it in (auto IP) and it's ready to go on
>>>the net without the firewall FUDware.....just like the big boys.
>>>It's nice having more of your CPU time back. Run anti-virus software
>>>to keep the bad guys from running their wormservers on all your
>>>machines. Uninstall Outlook Express and its address book, Windows
>>>scripting host, javascript and ActiveX and you're quite safe across
>>>the net......
>>>You'll soon forget those popup windows trying to scare you into buying

Relevant Pages

  • RE: changing SSH ports
    ... you actually have entered your ISP username and password into the router, ... and it is the router that's doing the PPPOE connection? ... My modem also uses PPPoE (although it actually does the PPPOE connection ... sending the router the ssh messages on port 26. ...
  • Re: OT: NTL and Linksys routers
    ... > OK, I've set up several Linksys cable routers with NTL, but this one has got> me foxed ... > Plugging a PC into the modem provides as good a net connnection as NTL will> ever supply, plus link lights on both ends ... Presumably into the local ethernet port on the modem. ... > Plugging the router into the the modem via the WAN port, no link light at> either end, no connectivity, no IP assigned to router, no traffic at all ...
  • Re: network question - is this unusual?
    ... for the WAN side in lieu of the modem and we were off to the races! ... time later I got a cheap linksys router to use instead, ... The Actiontec is an older model with only one ethernet plug. ... Each of the six operating systems (4 linux and 2 XP) has a static IP ...