Re: Black Ice confesses faulty program!!!

From: Chris L (chrisl317@comcast.net)
Date: 04/15/02

From: "Chris L" <chrisl317@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:38:09 GMT

What version of BID is this referring to?

--
Chris L

"TOYOTA MR2" <toyota_mr2@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:1018861794.719441@newsfront1... > FROM http://grc.com/lt/bidresponse.htm: "BlackICE does not currently prevent > outgoing connections or traffic except in cases where these connections are > caused by unsolicited incoming traffic, or are otherwise deemed > "dangerous/suspicious" traffic by the BlackICE program. When the user (you) > initiates an Internet connection, BlackICE assumes that you are aware of the > exchange of information, and approve of it. In most cases, this assumption > is correct (when you ask for information from a particular website for > example)." > > It's not supposed to assume anything, it's supposed to do its job!!! > > "Because the user initiates the connection with the GRC site, BlackICE will > not prevent information from being exchanged between your system and GRC, > any more than it would prevent information exchanges between your system and > any other website. (To do so would drastically interfere with your ability > to "surf" the Internet freely.) What happens is this: > > 1) You contact the GRC site and ask it to perform the "leaktest". > 2) The site asks you for certain information. This is the same information > that any other website asks for when you ask it for information (when you do > a search on Yahoo, when you download something from a friend's website, when > you ask for a price from a travel site, etc.). > 3) Your system sends the information it was asked for. (This information is > rather like confirming your "return address". It is needed to allow the > exchange to proceed smoothly.)" > > Install the program, leave the GRC.COM site alone, close ur browser and > perform the test!!! > > "We have been considering adding "User-Initiated Outbound Blocking" (which > is what leaktest is meant to check for) to BlackICE for some time. However, > no date has been set for this addition. Part of the problem is that we want > to be able to give our customers as much information about the outgoing > transmission as possible (to keep novice users from having to "guess" about > what to allow and what to block). This requires creating a user interface > that is somewhat more sophisticated than the simple interface that most > firewalls provide for this feature." > > Finally they confess they have a faulty and incomplete product that fails to > give u full protection!!! > > NOW... u can also read Gibson's reply... > > "Hi Dave, > Thanks for forwarding ISS/NetworkICE's latest response. It's a much more > thorough and clear reply than they have generated before. At one point I saw > "Trish M." quoted as asking: "Why does everyone believe everything Steve > Gibson says?" <<grin>> > > What they are essentially saying now - in your note from them - is that > BlackICE Defender responds only to outbound replies initiated from external > intrusion attempts. > > I have two problems with this: First, any good firewall will prevent > external intrusion. PERIOD. So why would there be a successful external > intrusion attempt that was able to reach some software running in your > computer in the first place? The truth is, if you don't allow a Trojan to > get into your machine then even a PC *without* a firewall is completely safe > against external attacks. It's not as if any computer can somehow be > "penetrated" by aiming a sharp pointy Internet packet at it unless you have > a firewall. That's just not the case. In my opinion, the threat from > "internal extrusion" of personal and private information (something inside > connecting outside) is actually much greater than from "external intrusion". > Sure, PCs on the Internet are being scanned all the time, but so what? > There's no way for them to get in - even without any firewall on a properly > configured machine. Being "Stealth" is cool, but *any* firewall does that > for you. > > Second, BlackICE is stating that they are not doing anything about "The > Spyware Problem" ... where some malicious software (malware) in your machine > decides to send stuff out or even to connect up to remote servers in order > to wait for orders. If you don't think "Spyware" is a problem for computer > users, take a look at what Google has on "Spyware" ... > > > > http://www.google.com/search?q=Spyware > ... and look at all of the types of Spyware now being handled by our > favorite anti-spyware program, LavaSoft's "Ad-Aware": Adware, Alexa 1.0-5.0, > Aureate v1.0,2.0 + 3.0, Comet Cursor v1.0 and v2.0, Cydoor, Doubleclick, > DSSAgent, EverAd, EzUla, Expedioware, Flyswat, Gator, Hotbar 1+2, OnFlow, > TimeSink v1.0,v2.0 and v5.0, Web3000, Webhancer, Transponder, Wnad and > more... (updated regulary) > > Finally, the ZoneLabs people who make the FREE ZoneAlarm firewall receive > about 5,000 pieces of eMail PER DAY from people using ZoneAlarm when that > bi-directional personal firewall detects something evil in their computer > trying to "phone home". By comparison, the BlackICE Defender folks probably > receive many fewer pieces of such eMail - if any at all - since, as > explained in Trish's note, BlackICE lets any such Spyware freely communicate > outbound without any supervision, detection, or blocking." > > This...in case u don't know is already 5 months old...November 8th 2001!!! > > > > > >

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Looking for a Good Firewall/Antivirus
    ... Have you tried BlackIce 3.5 for yourself? ... > any other website. ... > I have two problems with this: First, any good firewall will prevent ... If you don't think "Spyware" is a problem for computer ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: BlackIce Defender PC 3.5 and Gibson
    ... Have you tried BlackIce 3.5 for yourself? ... > outgoing connections or traffic except in cases where these connections ... > I have two problems with this: First, any good firewall will prevent ... If you don't think "Spyware" is a problem for computer ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Black Ice confesses faulty program!!!
    ... > outgoing connections or traffic except in cases where these connections ... > "Because the user initiates the connection with the GRC site, BlackICE ... > get into your machine then even a PC *without* a firewall is completely ... If you don't think "Spyware" is a problem for computer ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: BlackIce Defender PC 3.5 and Gibson
    ... FROM http://grc.com/lt/bidresponse.htm: "BlackICE does not currently prevent ... outgoing connections or traffic except in cases where these connections are ... I have two problems with this: First, any good firewall will prevent ... If you don't think "Spyware" is a problem for computer ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Looking for a Good Firewall/Antivirus
    ... FROM http://grc.com/lt/bidresponse.htm: "BlackICE does not currently prevent ... outgoing connections or traffic except in cases where these connections are ... initiates an Internet connection, BlackICE assumes that you are aware of the ... I have two problems with this: First, any good firewall will prevent ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)