Re: BlackIce 3.5 - help please

From: Mike Boeckeler (boeckelr@swbell.net)
Date: 04/10/02

From: "Mike Boeckeler" <boeckelr@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:39:58 GMT

Duane -

So you were able to upgrade it to v.2.9 and then to v.3.5? And v3.5 is the
same as their new product (i.e. BI PC Protection)?

I would prefer not to use the built in firewall, especially since I already
bought Black Ice last year. At the very least, Black Ice provides a lot of
information about who is doing what to your computer - but with the built in
firewall, you arent even notified if something is going on.

Thanks
Mike

"Duane Arnold" <Darnold@Insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Don't quote me on this but I believe you must be on version 2.9 upgrade or
> full version in order to upgrade to 3.5. I too purchased BlackIce last
year
> and continued the upgrades to 2.9. I didn't even know about 3.5 until I
did
> my regular upgrade check within the BlackIce application.
>
> BlackIce didn't deactivate OutPost when I installed it for my evaluation
of
> OutPost. But BlackIce certainly questioned me about the downloading,
> installing, upgrading itself, and uninstalling of Outpost on my computer.
>
> I here that the XP firewall is light years behind the others. I use Win2k
on
> my computers so I don't know about XP. I would think the Internet
Security
> Systems would be cashing in on an XP version like the other makers are
> doing. If you have doubt, go to BlackIce on your machine and email them
the
> question about
> XP version. Make sure you send your license key in the email, otherwise,
> they will request it.
>
> I have BlackIce on all my machines behind the Linksys router. I have had a
> couple of incidents where suspicious traffic got past the router, but
> BlackIce blocked it.
>
> Duane
>
> "Mike Boeckeler" <boeckelr@swbell.net> wrote in message
> > Just so I get this right - I purchased Black Ice Defender last year. It
is
> > registered and has a valid license key. I just went to Netowork Ice's
> > website, and saw that they have a product that supercedes Black Ice
> > Defender - i.e. Black Ice PC Protection. But since I already purchased
> > Black Ice Defender, do I have to go out and buy the new product? Or can
> > update to version 2.9 and then upgrade to 3.5, which is Black Ice PC
> > Protection?
> >
> > Also, I have WinXP Pro. I just switched to it last week, and I wanted
> > get it running well before I worried about my firewall. So I have just
> the
> > built in WinXP firewall activated at this point. When I install Black
Ice
> > will it disable the built in XP firewall? Do I have to deactivate it
> > myself? I looked around Network Ice's website, and the knowledge base
> > there, but couldnt find an answer.
> >
> > Last, are there any issues w/XP Pro and Black Ice that I should know
> about?
> > I have DSL.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >

> > "Duane Arnold" <darnold92@Insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > > I don't know about that. I think the latest version I had was 2.9 or
> > > somewhere in the neighborhood, and I always upgraded. It is/was
> > registered
> > > and I was able to upgrade to 3.5 with no issues. I don't know how you
> > > determined that 3.5 is beta, but it is not.
> > >
> > > "giovanni" <realty.g.a@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> not

Relevant Pages

  • Re: security on iis 5 open port router
    ... And I do know about intrusion detection. ... Gibson was rating BlackIce as a firewall [at a time when BlackIce was ... he rated it as a firewall because it was being pushed as ... whether it's "Black Ice is ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: BlackIce 3.5 - help please
    ... Ill install Black Ice tomorrow (I know how to turn off ... > deactivate XP's firewall. ... >>> my regular upgrade check within the BlackIce application. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: expect to hear from me no more!
    ... It's called configuring the firewall to meet you needs and all you had to do ... Based on the IPissued by the router to the machines told BlackIce to ... Black Ice is a trainwreck waiting to happen! ... I got no beef with Black Ice ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Confused, really confused...
    ... started with Black ice, but it got buggy with every other Windows update. ... So I switched to Zone Alarm, but after a while, one by ... > compared to BlackICE, but I've also read that BlackICE is not a proper ... > firewall, its more of a intrusion detector. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Software just do restrict outgoing traffic
    ... > built in firewall ... You could put BlackIce on the machine and disable the IDS/Firewall, ... I am skeptical about Win XP's firewall protection abilities after ... reading post "Windows XP Welcome Screen" in this newsgroup. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)