Re: Router + Firewall?

From: Joe Bloggs (stuSpam-art@excite.com)
Date: 01/25/02

From: Joe Bloggs <stuSpam-art@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:38:12 +0100

> I too was wondering this same thing. From my own experience, I can tell
> you that up until 4 days ago I was running ICS and using Norton Internet
> Security (Personal Firewall) on all my networked machines. Four days
> ago I bought a Linksys router with built in firewall and discontined
> using ICS. Since then, not one of my machines has seen even one
> intrusion attempt. Before, I was getting about 100 per day. The
> Linksys firewall log shows that these are still occuring, they're just
> not making it 'down' to my software firewall.
>
> I was wondering why the software firewall is even necessary. I guess it
> still would protect against an OUTBOUND (ie trogan) attempted access if
> I were ever unfortunate enought to become infected.
>
> > I'm also concerned about Printer and File Sharing, which is now
> > installed and enabled. How does one handle this, so as to protect
> > their security, but also be able to share files and a printer?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Marge

I think you should all disconnect your machines from the network... I mean
its scary out there!.. I was running Cisco PIX behind a pair of load
balanced CPNG's which sit behind Gauntlet6 which is in the balance of my two
screening 7000 routers and then just for good measure I put Blackice onto
my laptop behind it all... and I still got alarms saying Intruders!!
Intruders!! Intruders!!

Now I wonder if I share my printer if it will get hacked? Anybody know of a
firewall for printers?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Norton 2005 Int Security, Trend PCcillin or Zone Alarm ???????
    ... > I want security I can run on both machines. ... System overhead is higher than standard firewall applications. ... Symantec products do not remove (uninstall) well. ... Micro Trends PC-Cillan is very good (possibly the best in home network ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: install
    ... You just need to set up your network correctly. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ...
  • Re: Cant Connect To Network Printer
    ... I have sharing turned on. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... put all computers in the same Workgroup. ...
  • Re: Two Vista machine on the same network cant see each other.
    ... -Network set to "Private Network" on both machines ... -Public sharing ON on both machines ... a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; ...
  • Re: Shared folders on Xp cannot be found from Vista
    ... Assign passwords and see if it works now. ... firewall misconfiguration issue. ... Includes details about sharing printers as well as files ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ...