Re: Winroute: access to certain websites

From: Ralf Gerke (r.gerke@web.de)
Date: 01/22/02

From: "Ralf Gerke" <r.gerke@web.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:06:45 +0100

"Jaco" <jaqREMOVECAPTITALS@THESETOOsubdimension.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c4ad288.872043@news.hccnet.nl...
> I have Winroute installed on my server with a cable-connection to the
> internet, and everything works fine (news, email, ftp and www-access),
> but I can't get access to certain websites, like www.grc.com (of the
> well-known Steve Gibson). When I use the proxy server of Winroute, I
> can connect to these sites, but I rather not want to use the proxy.
> My configuration is:
> - server & clients: NT4
> - Winroute Pro 4.1 build 27
> - no filter rules
> - no DHCP
> I've tried upgrading to build 30, but then www-access without the
> proxy is completely impossible, so I downgraded back to build 27.
> I've searched everywhere, but I can't find a solution.
>
> Jaco

Setting The MTU

The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a value that defines the maximum size
of each packet leaving your computer. You may need to lower this value on
each computer behind WinRoute. To see if this is necessary you can perform a
ping test from a client computer as follows.

>From a dos window type: ping -f -l 1472 yahoo.com

If you receive the message: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set. Then
you need to lower the MTU. Try the same test again using 1400 in place of
1472. If you get a message like: Reply from 216.115.108.243: bytes=1400
time= 180ms TTL= 246.Then 1400 is a sufficient size. Otherwise you'll need
to continue lowering the value until you get a reply. It is possible that
you may not get a reply, this is ok. You only need to lower the MTU if you
get the specific response "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set."

Note: If the client is set to obtain its IP information through DHCP, the
registry structure may not appear as follows. To make sure you apply the
necessary MTU value to the proper location you need to exit the registry
editor and proceed to the TCP/IP settings of the adapter for which you are
setting the MTU. Disable DHCP and manually input an IP address and subnet
mask. Use a random value such as 1.2.3.4 that is easy to remember. Reboot
the computer and refer back to the registry editor and follow the steps
outlined below. Once you have set the MTU and rebooted you can go back to
the TCP/IP properties and reset the adapter to obtain its IP information
through DHCP.

Windows 95/98/ME

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\{000x}

Beneath NetTrans should be several keys labeled 000x. Select the first key
and refer to the window to the right. Look for an IP address setting that
will display the IP you inputed in the TCP/IP settings, 1.2.3.4 in our
example. If you cannot find the IP then select the next key down and so on
until you have located the IP address. When you have located the correct key
look for a value called MaxMTU. If it does not exist, add a string value and
label it MaxMTU taking into account case sensitivity. Modify its contents to
reflect the necessary bit size determined by the ping test. Under most
circumstances 1400 is sufficient. You must reboot the machine for the
changes to take affect.

-------------------------

Windows NT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\"ethernet-adapter"\Para
meters\Tcpip

When you have located the correct key look for a value called MTU. If it
does not exist, add a dword value and label it MTU taking into account case
sensitivity. Modify its contents to reflect the necessary bit size
determined by the ping test. Under most circumstances 1400 is sufficient.
You must reboot the machine for the changes to take affect.

-------------------------

Windows 2000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interf
aces\{interface}

Beneath Interfaces should be several keys signifying each interface. Select
the first key and refer to the window to the right. Look for an IP address
setting that will display the IP you inputed in the TCP/IP settings, 1.2.3.4
in our example. If you cannot find the IP then select the next key down and
so on until you have located the IP address. When you have located the
correct key look for a value called MTU. If it does not exist, add a dword
value and label it MTU taking into account case sensitivity. Modify its
contents to reflect the necessary bit size determined by the ping test.
Under most circumstances a decimal value of 1400 is sufficient. You must
reboot the machine for the changes to take affect.

This could also be of interest...

My error log reports WRSendPacket() failed. What does this mean and how do I
fix it?

The WRSendPacket() failed error means that WinRoute is receiving too large
of packets and is unable to process them. This error is common in PPPoE
ADSL. This error is usually fixed by making a modification to the registry
that will allow winroute to fragment these large packets. First you will
need to stop the WinRoute engine. Proceed to the registry editor by going to
the start menu -> run and type regedit from the text box . Follow the path
Hkey_Local_Machine/Software/TinySoftware/WinRoute. In the right screen find
IpFragMode. Modify its value to 1 and exit regedit, then restart the
WinRoute engine. If the problem persists please email
support@tinysoftware.com and attach your wrdrv.log file.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Winroute: access to certain websites
    ... I tried the ping-test and I didn't need to change the MTU; ... What puzzles me is that it happens only with a few websites; WinRoute ... Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set. ... >registry structure may not appear as follows. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Is changing MTU even possible on WM5 Smartphone?
    ... It doesn't seem that this registry entry has ... It is possible to change the MTU via the registry as you have described. ... I'd recommend going over to Smartphone ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition)
  • Re: Unable to send attachments still
    ... "Ron Sommer" wrote: ... Have you checked the MTU settings in the Registry? ... Did you install a antivirus or spam software since the XP reinstall? ...
  • Re: Local machine DNS failure in IE
    ... > internet and get a reply back from all locations. ... > couple of winsock repair tools, have edited the registry ... Could be an MTU issue. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: MTU aendern
    ... >> Tools schreiben nur Blödsinn in die Registry. ... wirst du sehen welchen Unsinn diese Tools ... >> anrichten. ... bitte wie viele Einträge die MTU betreffend vorgenommen wurde. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.networking)