Re: Netscreen Global Manager

From: Laurent Juin (ljuin@gerpi.fr)
Date: 01/17/02

From: ljuin@gerpi.fr (Laurent Juin)
Date: 17 Jan 2002 00:55:51 -0800

Thanks,

 With a such answers, I understand that CheckPoint is still #1.
 Is there someone in Netscreen who cares about administrator needs ?
 In conclusion, we are in a deep shit ! We will have 6 NS-500 but there
is no working solution to manage them.
 I am wondering if distributor will longer support this product ? Is
there an other solution to manage NS-500 ?

 "Global PRO Policy Manager 3.1 will support USGA/ScreenOS 3.1. It is
currently still under significant development and won't be ready until
at least Spring or early Summer."
What an answer ! They are talking about under significant development,
but I would say that GM Express 3.0 is still under development ! So
let's say that GM 3.1 is not started yet !
Yesterday, we made simple test about GM 3.0 : 90% of the simple
functions you need to manage a firewall are not implemented or bugged.
Example : there is no groups of host/networks or services, you can
create a host but you cannot edit it, rules order is changed when you
edit a rule, update of a ns-500 is always report as failed, on-line help
is false, most of the function must be carried out by the WebUI,
Comments are not easy to set, RTM is not centralised ...

 About reporting, are they listening about administrator needs ?
Reporting is very complex so you need a complex software, but everybody
is not ready to install a such solution. Most of the time, it is
debugging, so we need a solution to perform debug on log event and
traffic. And a small reporting as provided by GM 2.6 satisfy
administrator needs. But now there is nothing to browse and filter in
real time the logs !

In my opinion, GM 2.6 was build for administrators. GM 3.0 is designed
for resellers. GM 3.1 is already annouced but the 3.0 is not working.

 We are told that GM 3.0 is used until last May to manage hundreds (may
be thousands) devices. I cannot believe it anymore !!!

 We will wait for Netscreen official answer, but they have lots of work
to do.

  Thanks anyway
   And I wish you Good luck, it is not easy to be a reseller !

Benny Hansson a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> My last conversation with NS support gave me following.
>
> Q: When will 3.1 of Global Manager Pro be released?, I need support for
> ScreenOS 3.1 for the NS-500, like ASAP.
>
> A: *** Global PRO Policy Manager 3.1 will support USGA/ScreenOS 3.1. It is
> currently still under significant development and won't be ready until at
> least Spring or early Summer.
>
> Q: Were is all report support that was in Global Manager in Global Manager
> Pro Express? Is ths supposed to be handle by Webtrends only?
>
> A: *** Global Manager did not do true long term historical reporting. The
> Real
> Time Monitor included with Express has replaced the minimal reporting
> functionality once performed by Global Manager. For real reporting
> capability, contact your NetScreen Salesperson about upgrading to Global PRO
> 3.0 Standard, which includes Report Manager 3.0. This requires a customer
> supplied Oracle database, as well as a dedicated Solaris server separate
> from the Policy Manager device and the database.
>
> My tech staff is not very happy over GM Express 3.0, it is nearly
> practically useless.
>
> As you perhaps already now, we are the Swedish distributor, we have worked
> with Netscreen since 1998.
>
> /benny

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Netscreen Global Manager
    ... >> want fancy reporting it demands Oracle database and third-party ... > We are looking for simple reporting as described in the Global Manager ... > in Global Pro Express - Centralised for several devices-? ... > What are the extra costs to include in a Global Manager solution? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Netscreen Global Manager
    ... want fancy reporting it demands Oracle database and third-party reporting ... I'm running the Global Manager Pro Express myself, and cost is less than the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)