Re: Linsys BEFSR41 / Road Runner / Firewall problems / Total newbie please help!

From: Dr. Bob (rck@houston.rr.com)
Date: 01/13/02

From: rck@houston.rr.com (Dr. Bob)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:43:47 GMT

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 10:46:05 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
<Whiplashr@wi.DOTrr.DOTcom> wrote:

>Many places I saw suggestions to make my machine the DMZ host.
>Despite the risk, I figured I'd try it, planning only to turn it on and off
>as I hosted certain games, etc.

>In the router setup screens, my machine is identified as the .100 address.
>(192.168.1.100). I went to "advanced" and then "DMZ" and put 100
>there. Verified that I was .100 many times.

>I don't get firewall errors from games when I do this, however hosting
>still is a NO GO. People cannot join me.

Try disabling SPI. We have heard that the so-called "DMZ" feature does
not work if SPI is enabled. We know that port forwarding does not work
if SPI is enabled, so it is likely that DMZ won't either.

If DMZ still does not work, keep SPI disabled and forward the complete
range of ports (0-65535) to your game host machine in the Forward
page. That should let game clients in.

Of course, all this assumes that you can get game hosting to work when
the Linksys is not in the circuit.

Dr. Bob

"The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust
no man with enough power to endanger the public liberty."
- John Adams

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linsys BEFSR41 / Road Runner / Firewall problems / Total newbie please help!
    ... >>Many places I saw suggestions to make my machine the DMZ host. ... > if SPI is enabled, so it is likely that DMZ won't either. ... That should let game clients in. ... the ports I need. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Server issue?
    ... We both own MW4 Vengeance, ... I host the game. ... Went thru those motions, DMZ, ... I could host Mercs and Vengeance wth no ...
    (microsoft.public.games)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] PIX 515E config - DMZ host to inside host
    ... DMZ host - 10.134.1.2 ... I think it would be better if you knew what protocols and ports ... But it's probably a Windows server in the DMZ that needs to talk to a domain ... your real problem is in your NAT configuration. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: SPI?
    ... but I believe SPI and DMZ would be mutually exclusive ... I recall reading that they are. ... If SPI is enabled, ... defeat that just like it defeats partial forwarding. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)