Re: Unable to log on to a remote domain the first time.

From: Michael Bednarek (ROT13-zo_at_zorqanerx.pbz)
Date: 06/23/05

    Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:45:31 +1000

    On 22 Jun 2005 18:22:18 -0700, "Gundabah" <gundabah@gmail.com> wrote in
    comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security:

    >I am looking for confirmation that this is actually not possible. I get
    >the feeling this is so until domain credentials are cached locally the
    >first time, which is going to be difficult given I am in Australia and
    >the domain is in the US.
    >
    >I am receiving the message:
    >
    >'The system cannot log you on now because the domain <DomainName> is
    >not available'
    >
    >when attempting to log on to a remote domain the first time after the
    >machine has been added to the domain.

    What kind of domain? NT4, NT5.0, NT5.2? AD?

    >I am in Australia. The domain is in the US. The machine has just been
    >built with XP SP2 from scratch. Earlier today, I:
    >
    >- Logged on as a local administrator
    >- Established a VPN connection to the domain using Cisco VPN software.
    >The company only uses Cisco for VPN
    >- Started a WebEx remote session for the domain administrator to add my
    >machine to the domain

    Eh? Isn't normally the machine admitted to the domain from the PC?

    >- Rebooted and attempted to log on as a domain user. This is when the
    >message occured.

    Whithout the VPN client running?

    >Will I need to physically locate my machine inside the US firewall to
    >get locally cached credentials to allow me to log on as a domain user?

    Apart from the usual DNS issues, there may be timing issues when logging
    on to servers over "slow" connections, particularly when using roaming
    profiles.

    --
    Michael Bednarek   http://mbednarek.com/   "POST NO BILLS"

    • Unable to log on to a remote domain the first time.
      ... the feeling this is so until domain credentials are cached locally the ... when attempting to log on to a remote domain the first time after the ... Established a VPN connection to the domain using Cisco VPN software. ... Rebooted and attempted to log on as a domain user. ...
      (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
    • Re: Connecting a remote workstation to a domain
      ... VPN for "All Users" to the SBS server (and using her domain credentials). ... created the VPN connection and tested with the same results from a remote ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: Windows Authentication from non Domain PC
      ... When you VPN into your network aren't you authenticated by the domain using ... So the domain credentials to establish the VPN are not "your" domain ... I don't log onto the Server PC but just access the SQL server remotely. ... this would allow a Trusted Authentication to occur. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Big Questions
      ... Hello all I am setting up a VPN for the first time. ... office with our database server. ... it is not very reliable so I had the idea to use a vpn gateway to ...
      (comp.dcom.vpn)
    • Re: Changed domain on a laptop, now cant login.
      ... It is possible to join a domain through a VPN connection, ... Connect the VPN using the user's domain credentials. ... It all began with Adam. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)