Re: Unable to log on to a remote domain the first time.

From: Michael Bednarek (ROT13-zo_at_zorqanerx.pbz)
Date: 06/23/05

    Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:45:31 +1000

    On 22 Jun 2005 18:22:18 -0700, "Gundabah" <gundabah@gmail.com> wrote in
    comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security:

    >I am looking for confirmation that this is actually not possible. I get
    >the feeling this is so until domain credentials are cached locally the
    >first time, which is going to be difficult given I am in Australia and
    >the domain is in the US.
    >
    >I am receiving the message:
    >
    >'The system cannot log you on now because the domain <DomainName> is
    >not available'
    >
    >when attempting to log on to a remote domain the first time after the
    >machine has been added to the domain.

    What kind of domain? NT4, NT5.0, NT5.2? AD?

    >I am in Australia. The domain is in the US. The machine has just been
    >built with XP SP2 from scratch. Earlier today, I:
    >
    >- Logged on as a local administrator
    >- Established a VPN connection to the domain using Cisco VPN software.
    >The company only uses Cisco for VPN
    >- Started a WebEx remote session for the domain administrator to add my
    >machine to the domain

    Eh? Isn't normally the machine admitted to the domain from the PC?

    >- Rebooted and attempted to log on as a domain user. This is when the
    >message occured.

    Whithout the VPN client running?

    >Will I need to physically locate my machine inside the US firewall to
    >get locally cached credentials to allow me to log on as a domain user?

    Apart from the usual DNS issues, there may be timing issues when logging
    on to servers over "slow" connections, particularly when using roaming
    profiles.

    --
    Michael Bednarek   http://mbednarek.com/   "POST NO BILLS"