Re: Setting up FTP site in Windows 2000

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 04/23/05

    Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:41:11 -0500

    Your welcome. Glad you are good to go now. --- Steve

    <paulsmith5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Steven,
    >
    > Thanks for the help. Got it sorted.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > Steven L Umbach wrote:
    >> FTP permissions work in conjunction with ntfs permissions to restrict
    > or
    >> allow users or groups access with the most restrictive of the two
    >> permissions applying. In other words if your FTP site is set to read
    > only
    >> and a user has write access to a folder, they will not be able to
    > write to
    >> the folder. When configuring permissions make sure that only the
    > specific
    >> groups you want to have access are included in the permissions with
    > the
    >> proper permissions. Do not have everyone or users included for
    > instance if
    >> you want to restrict a folder to specific groups. If possible, have
    > your ftp
    >> folders on a different drive partition other than the system drive.
    > Do not
    >> enable anonymous access unless you want to allow anyone to access
    > your ftp
    >> server. Keep in mind that for FTP authentication that user
    > credentials are
    >> sent in clear text. The link below may help. --- Steve
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/31c2427c-c0a5-49fa-9e03-823f34fba3e8.mspx
    >>
    >> <paulsmith5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I wish to set up FTP so that a group of users have access to a
    > specific
    >> > location within my overall FTP site. Lets suppose that I have a
    >> > directory on my pc called App1 and I have created a new virtual
    >> > directory in my default FTP site that maps to it (therefore to
    > access
    >> > it I would navigate to ftp://ipaddress/app1). Now consider the user
    >> > group - call it App1FTPUsers. Every member of App1FTPUsers should
    > be
    >> > required to login and have read only rights - i.e. they should only
    > be
    >> > allowed download files and browse certain folders. Individual
    > members
    >> > of App1FTPUsers should only be able to access specific folders, for
    >> > example User1 should only be able to access a directory within App1
    >> > called User1 (e.g. ftp://ipaddress/app1/user1) and User2 should
    > only be
    >> > able to access a directory within App1 called User2 (e.g.
    >> > ftp://ipaddress/app1/user2) etc. No member of App1FTPUsers should
    > be
    >> > able to access anywhere outside of ftp://ipaddress/app1.
    > Furthermore, I
    >> > would like to retain the ability for certain other users ouside of
    > the
    >> > App1FTPUsers group (e.g. the local administrator etc.) to write to
    > the
> [...]

    • Re: [PHP] File Upload Security and chmod
      ... The FTP will be slower, ... your files at will in PHP. ... all of the directory creation and permissions changes? ... upon the permissions the parent folder. ...
      (php.general)
    • Re: Cannot get Cerverus ftp server to work
      ... When i create a user Cerverus asks me for virtual root folder and i add ... Those seem to be permissions that the FTP server is allowing for its ... If the O/S is using the FAT32 file system that the FTP folder is created on, ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: FTP Into a WinXP Box From a Win2003 Server
      ... Does the folder you are using for FTP root have read permissions for ... >into my WinXP pro box from a Win 2003 Server. ... >folder on the FTP Server. ...
    • Re: MGET command deletes files
      ... I then ftp. ... then mget file.txt ... Can you double check and ensure the user doesn't have any permissions on ... >>> folder, but the file in the destination folder has permissions set so ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
    • Re: FTP setup/security scenario looking for help....
      ... I believe if you permissions for each user on each individual folder and not ... root ftp folder ... user1 = user 1 permissions ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)