Re: Setting up FTP site in Windows 2000

paulsmith5_at_hotmail.com
Date: 04/22/05

    Date: 22 Apr 2005 03:54:33 -0700

    Hi Steven,

    Thanks for the help. Got it sorted.

    Paul

    Steven L Umbach wrote:
    > FTP permissions work in conjunction with ntfs permissions to restrict
    or
    > allow users or groups access with the most restrictive of the two
    > permissions applying. In other words if your FTP site is set to read
    only
    > and a user has write access to a folder, they will not be able to
    write to
    > the folder. When configuring permissions make sure that only the
    specific
    > groups you want to have access are included in the permissions with
    the
    > proper permissions. Do not have everyone or users included for
    instance if
    > you want to restrict a folder to specific groups. If possible, have
    your ftp
    > folders on a different drive partition other than the system drive.
    Do not

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/31c2427c-c0a5-49fa-9e03-823f34fba3e8.mspx

    > <paulsmith5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I wish to set up FTP so that a group of users have access to a
    specific
    > > location within my overall FTP site. Lets suppose that I have a
    > > directory on my pc called App1 and I have created a new virtual
    > > directory in my default FTP site that maps to it (therefore to
    access
    > > it I would navigate to ftp://ipaddress/app1). Now consider the user
    > > group - call it App1FTPUsers. Every member of App1FTPUsers should
    be
    > > required to login and have read only rights - i.e. they should only
    be
    > > allowed download files and browse certain folders. Individual
    members
    > > of App1FTPUsers should only be able to access specific folders, for
    > > example User1 should only be able to access a directory within App1
    > > called User1 (e.g. ftp://ipaddress/app1/user1) and User2 should
    only be
    > > able to access a directory within App1 called User2 (e.g.
    > > ftp://ipaddress/app1/user2) etc. No member of App1FTPUsers should
    be
    > > able to access anywhere outside of ftp://ipaddress/app1.
    Furthermore, I
    > > would like to retain the ability for certain other users ouside of
    the
    > > App1FTPUsers group (e.g. the local administrator etc.) to write to
    the
    > > directories involved.
    > >
    > > Please could somebody help me with the steps I should take to
    achieve
    > > this. I have set up the ftp virtual directory but have done nothing
    > > about the security settings i.e. currently the App1FTPUsers group
    does
    > > not exist, I have Allow Anonymous Connections set to true for my
    FTP
    > > site, my FTP home directory has Read and Log Visits checkboxes
    checked
    > > - Write is unchecked. Everyone has full control on all the folders
    that
    > > are mapped to in ftp://ipaddress/app1. I am using Windows 2000 and
    IIS
    > > 6.0. The FTP server is not a domain controller.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Paul

    • Re: Cannot get Cerverus ftp server to work
      ... When i create a user Cerverus asks me for virtual root folder and i add ... Those seem to be permissions that the FTP server is allowing for its ... If the O/S is using the FAT32 file system that the FTP folder is created on, ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: FTP Into a WinXP Box From a Win2003 Server
      ... Does the folder you are using for FTP root have read permissions for ... >into my WinXP pro box from a Win 2003 Server. ... >folder on the FTP Server. ...
    • Re: MGET command deletes files
      ... I then ftp. ... then mget file.txt ... Can you double check and ensure the user doesn't have any permissions on ... >>> folder, but the file in the destination folder has permissions set so ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
    • Re: FTP setup/security scenario looking for help....
      ... I believe if you permissions for each user on each individual folder and not ... root ftp folder ... user1 = user 1 permissions ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: FTP control
      ... > I would like to use NTFS security settings to control who ... I would suggest getting a third party FTP server, ... if you set quota and these permissions for that group you can ... Information Server (IIS) Web site, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)