Re: Setting up FTP site in Windows 2000

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 04/20/05

    Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:48:08 -0500

    FTP permissions work in conjunction with ntfs permissions to restrict or
    allow users or groups access with the most restrictive of the two
    permissions applying. In other words if your FTP site is set to read only
    and a user has write access to a folder, they will not be able to write to
    the folder. When configuring permissions make sure that only the specific
    groups you want to have access are included in the permissions with the
    proper permissions. Do not have everyone or users included for instance if
    you want to restrict a folder to specific groups. If possible, have your ftp
    folders on a different drive partition other than the system drive. Do not
    enable anonymous access unless you want to allow anyone to access your ftp
    server. Keep in mind that for FTP authentication that user credentials are
    sent in clear text. The link below may help. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/31c2427c-c0a5-49fa-9e03-823f34fba3e8.mspx

    <paulsmith5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wish to set up FTP so that a group of users have access to a specific
    > location within my overall FTP site. Lets suppose that I have a
    > directory on my pc called App1 and I have created a new virtual
    > directory in my default FTP site that maps to it (therefore to access
    > it I would navigate to ftp://ipaddress/app1). Now consider the user
    > group - call it App1FTPUsers. Every member of App1FTPUsers should be
    > required to login and have read only rights - i.e. they should only be
    > allowed download files and browse certain folders. Individual members
    > of App1FTPUsers should only be able to access specific folders, for
    > example User1 should only be able to access a directory within App1
    > called User1 (e.g. ftp://ipaddress/app1/user1) and User2 should only be
    > able to access a directory within App1 called User2 (e.g.
    > ftp://ipaddress/app1/user2) etc. No member of App1FTPUsers should be
    > able to access anywhere outside of ftp://ipaddress/app1. Furthermore, I
    > would like to retain the ability for certain other users ouside of the
    > App1FTPUsers group (e.g. the local administrator etc.) to write to the
    > directories involved.
    >
    > Please could somebody help me with the steps I should take to achieve
    > this. I have set up the ftp virtual directory but have done nothing
    > about the security settings i.e. currently the App1FTPUsers group does
    > not exist, I have Allow Anonymous Connections set to true for my FTP
    > site, my FTP home directory has Read and Log Visits checkboxes checked
    > - Write is unchecked. Everyone has full control on all the folders that
    > are mapped to in ftp://ipaddress/app1. I am using Windows 2000 and IIS
    > 6.0. The FTP server is not a domain controller.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul

    • iis6 ftp permissions
      ... I have a problem with permissions. ... I'm trying to set up iis6 ftp on w2k3 so that ftp ... And to do this, following the backdoor folders trick, I have set up ... The root then has two virtual directories: ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
    • Re: MGET command deletes files
      ... > I then ftp. ... > open the ftp log file, no sent /file.txt 226 was recorded. ... > Can you double check and ensure the user doesn't have any permissions on ... >> There is a file in both folders with the same name. ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
    • Re: ftp secured access
      ... Refer ... Create an FTP Folder with Read Access but Not List Access ... > allow the folders which a user has permissions to view, ...
    • Re: FTP control
      ... > I would like to use NTFS security settings to control who ... I would suggest getting a third party FTP server, ... if you set quota and these permissions for that group you can ... Information Server (IIS) Web site, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: iis6 ftp permissions
      ... of those website folders. ... > I have a problem with permissions. ... > is a many-to-many relationship between the ftp users and web sites. ... > and each of these virtual directories have two sub virtual directories ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)