Setting up FTP site in Windows 2000

paulsmith5_at_hotmail.com
Date: 04/20/05

Date: 20 Apr 2005 03:50:10 -0700

Hi,

I wish to set up FTP so that a group of users have access to a specific
location within my overall FTP site. Lets suppose that I have a
directory on my pc called App1 and I have created a new virtual
directory in my default FTP site that maps to it (therefore to access
it I would navigate to ftp://ipaddress/app1). Now consider the user
group - call it App1FTPUsers. Every member of App1FTPUsers should be
required to login and have read only rights - i.e. they should only be
allowed download files and browse certain folders. Individual members
of App1FTPUsers should only be able to access specific folders, for
example User1 should only be able to access a directory within App1
called User1 (e.g. ftp://ipaddress/app1/user1) and User2 should only be
able to access a directory within App1 called User2 (e.g.
ftp://ipaddress/app1/user2) etc. No member of App1FTPUsers should be
able to access anywhere outside of ftp://ipaddress/app1. Furthermore, I
would like to retain the ability for certain other users ouside of the
App1FTPUsers group (e.g. the local administrator etc.) to write to the
directories involved.

Please could somebody help me with the steps I should take to achieve
this. I have set up the ftp virtual directory but have done nothing
about the security settings i.e. currently the App1FTPUsers group does
not exist, I have Allow Anonymous Connections set to true for my FTP
site, my FTP home directory has Read and Log Visits checkboxes checked
- Write is unchecked. Everyone has full control on all the folders that
are mapped to in ftp://ipaddress/app1. I am using Windows 2000 and IIS
6.0. The FTP server is not a domain controller.

Thanks,

Paul

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FTP Site wont work
    ... Can I use the default inetpub and ftp site as an example? ... Below that are two folders, ... HTH, I don't know why this is because I actually don't use the server, just ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: FTP site hacked
    ... different upload and download folders. ... Note that with many FTP servers including IIS, the ID and password are sent ... Use the DIR /X command to find the shortened 8.3 name of the folder. ... > Our FTP site is use for our off-site offices to "download ...
  • Re: How to secure FTP?
    ... I use XP Pro and it allows up to 10 simultaneous connections to an FTP site. ... Surely 2003 Server will allow more than that. ... Use virtual folders and the proper NTFS permissions. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • RE: Using FTP
    ... I understand that you want to make your SBS ... Based on my research, by default, SBS can access external FTP site, if you ... You have to rerun the CEICW to make sure your SBS 2003 server have right ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How secure is ftp user isolation on XP SP2
    ... I do not beleive that this is called FTP User isolation more User Home ... of the FTP Site and then change into other folders by default. ... I found that this is called "FTP User Isolation". ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)