Re: IT ethics in the workplace

From: Darko Gavrilovic (darko.DOT.gavrilovic_at_utoronto.DOT.ca)
Date: 03/23/05

    Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:41:30 GMT

    les wrote:

    > Wanted to ask opinions.
    > I don't know where is the best forum for this, so I'll try here unless
    > someone has better ideas.
    >
    > My wife was sending an email at work to her friend, and mentioned
    > she just learned she was pregnant. This good news was passed by
    > email. The IT guy at her company somehow read this mail and then
    > passed this "gossip" along in his conversations with other employees.
    > My issue here is two-fold :
    > 1. Is personal email on company computers private or not?
    > 2. Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature
    > such that this would be construed as violation of privacy?
    >
    > My wife has no ill feelings toward this person, but thinks this behavior
    > is inappropriate and wonders what the consensus is. She wants to
    > confront him about this breach of ethics.
    > Thanks for any opinions.
    >
    > Dr. Balla

    Hi. You are absolutely correct. It is very bad ethics and she should
    complain to her boss and the IT guys boss.

    --
    "Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?", Robin Williams

    • IT ethics in the workplace
      ... I don't know where is the best forum for this, ... Is personal email on company computers private or not? ... Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature ... My wife has no ill feelings toward this person, ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • IT ethics in the workplace
      ... I don't know where is the best forum for this, ... Is personal email on company computers private or not? ... Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature ... My wife has no ill feelings toward this person, ...
      (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
    • Re: Mommy Wars: To Work or Stay at Home?
      ... not hovering over them but at a job where his boss hovered ... employer of the wife since he is paying the bills and, in effect, ...
      (soc.men)
    • Re: Mommy Wars: To Work or Stay at Home?
      ... are leaving the work force to stay at home ... not hovering over them but at a job where his boss hovered ... employer of the wife since he is paying the bills and, in effect, ...
      (soc.men)
    • OT Job update
      ... so did the jerkwad's wife. ... together there was enough to land the guy a night in the cooler. ... The big boss laughed in my face and refused to move me to a different ... So the ret of the collectors are stuck trying to get these old ...
      (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)