Re: Being logged on as admin and user at the same time (in XP)?

From: Herb Martin (news_at_LearnQuick.com)
Date: 01/05/05

    Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:35:16 -0600

    <gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1104828564.641424.32910@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > Oops, sorry about the ambigous post, but you answered my question. I
    > just wanted to know if that "switched out of admin account" would allow
    > malicious "things" (spyware, viruses, etc) to compromise my computer
    > using admin access (via the switched out of admin account).

    By default the first window of Explorer sets the user
    context however.

    You will have to work with command line or other
    tools started in a RunAs session.

    Or if you stop and restart Explorer from a RunAs
    session you must be aware that all instances of
    Explorer (including Start run) will operate as that
    admin (in that context.)

    One trick to stay kosher (except for stuff like Explorer
    which just attaches to the first instance if you try to
    run it again) is to first start a COMMAND Prompt
    as a RunAs command and force yourself to run everything
    sensative from ONLY that command session.

    Watch out for anything Graphical because it might act
    like Explorer does (and use the existing context.)

    If you follow this method, you might wisht to alter your
    comman prompt colors to make the context change
    obvious.

    --
    Herb Martin
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Gaiko

    • Re: Being logged on as admin and user at the same time (in XP)?
      ... > using admin access. ... context however. ... You will have to work with command line or other ... Or if you stop and restart Explorer from a RunAs ...
    • Re: Being logged on as admin and user at the same time (in XP)?
      ... > FYI Due to the single-instance hooks of Explorer it is ... Runas Explorer ... and so you get the RunAs context. ... >> It is much better than staying logged on as the Admin ...
    • Re: Being logged on as admin and user at the same time (in XP)?
      ... > FYI Due to the single-instance hooks of Explorer it is ... Runas Explorer ... and so you get the RunAs context. ... >> It is much better than staying logged on as the Admin ...
      (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
    • Re: No New Shortcut in Explorer
      ... is missing from the File|New and the context menu. ... I run Explorer without any command line switches the new 'Shortcut is there. ...
    • Re: Great SWT Program
      ... Invisible extra things to backspace away are going to trip ... This indicates that Windows is not seeing the same input ... drag and drop oddities in Explorer indicate a similar problem; ... command prompt instead of a different task; ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)