Re: Boy in a Santa suit asked to quit dance

From: Brian LeDesma (bledesma_at_erac.com)
Date: 12/29/04

Date: 28 Dec 2004 23:13:38 -0800

It just seems to me if a school official dressed as Santa for a school
event, fine, make an arguement that the "govt" (in this case a middle
school employee) is sanctioning a christian holiday and therefore a
non-specific christian religion.

but if it's a kid, the school is violating the other half of that
clause - it is hindering the free excercise of the student. Had he been
wearing a yamaka (sp?) or some other religious costume or adornment
would the same controversy have ensued? It seems to me that an
individual who works for a public/govt organization should refrain from
openly displaying religious preferences only when in a professional,
work-related environment. At any other time, or if it's anyone else,
why should it be a problem?

And I'm being nice by merely accepting without debate the notion that
wearing a Santa suit is a religious statement. That dubious point
doesn't need to be refuted in pointing out the error of the school.

-B

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
    ... religious position in a high school venue. ... arithmetic and into more religion and religious discussion. ... that our students don't score close to the bottom when compared to other ... Not at the expense of true education - the ability to think critically. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
    ... religious position in a high school venue. ... arithmetic and into more religion and religious discussion. ... that our students don't score close to the bottom when compared to other ... into a closet...and that the publicans with their public prayers had already ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
    ... the message that caused the court to rule in the way they did. ... Milford Central School) had a decidedly different outcome in spite of ... because of his or her religion, the law steps in, and indeed the ... public prayer is not banned but in certain venues supported by ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • I>slam>i>sat>ion
    ... No offense meant to any of my very beloved Muslim friends. ... Mohandas K Gandi- Secularism is not the absence of religion, ... Three: But we're DONE WITH SCHOOL IN A MONTH:) ... Pictures of the last day of school can be found here ...
    (soc.culture.malaysia)
  • Re: Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
    ... evangelists he knew to come into the school on certain days while the ... education seminars. ... arithmetic and into more religion and religious discussion. ... Is it better for the students to learn about ...
    (soc.retirement)