Re: Dual boot possible on a NT PC

From: Tom Saul (filtered_at_mjl.me.uk)
Date: 05/10/04

    Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:12:19 +0100

    "Albert" <albert.cougnet@swing.be> wrote in message
    news:409fd88c$0$25090$a0ced6e1@news.skynet.be...
    > I bought twoyears ago a second hand laptop PIII with NT 4.0
    > It works fine, no problem at all.
    > But now I've a digital camera and want to connect it on the PC.
    > Of course the camera has only an USB connector but the NT doesn't
    recognize
    > it.
    > So my question is: is it possible to make this PC dual boot with a
    partition
    > NT and a partition with Windows XP ?

    Firstly, there are a few NT USB drivers available and they do seem to work.
    Drop me an email and I'll dig one out for you if you want to try it.[1] So
    far it's been well tested on Dell Latitude systems and seems perfectly okay
    with zip drives, memory sticks and all-in-one printers. Cameras should be
    okay as well as they work as mass-storage devices, the same as USB memory
    sticks.

    For dual-booting with XP, you need at least Service Pack 4(IIRC) and
    preferably SP6a. Next, you need a good 1.5GB of space on an uncompressed
    drive. Install XP in a separate directory to NT. My personal preference
    here would be to reduce the size of your NT partition with the partition
    manager of your choice[1], create a new partition and install XP in that.
    Just remember that *most* programs installed on one OS will need to be
    installed on the other if you want to use them both with NT and XP.

    [1] Insert all the usual "FFS, Backup first!" disclaimers here

    Tom.

    • Re: installating from iso
      ... But I could maybe mount the full DVD .iso using the USB stick ... version, after mounting the Vista partition which contains that ISO, ... then why not install from that? ... Put the OS ISO image on a FAT32 partition. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: installing debian from USB... IS IT POSSIBLE?
      ... The Wheezy netinst-cdrom image can certainly be used with a USB ... How did you partition the hard disk? ... Just install as normal. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: usb wont read camera or mobile phone, but will read modem and pri
      ... And to be on the same page, did you or did you not install the drivers when you mentioned "I have installed the software for both devices". ... Have a look in DM under USB Controllers and see if there is a USB 2 Enhanced Controller listed or not. ... Go ahead and attach the camera and go to DM. ... Expand the tree starting with the names Multiprocessor PC or Uniprocessor PC. ...
    • Re: Cannot boot FreeBSD (8.0) from USB stick (Dell Inspiron 9400)
      ... AS INSTALL SOURCE AND INSTALLED 8.0 ON A DESKTOP PC TO THE MOTHERBOARD CABLED HARD DRIVE??? ... The former, I copied the 8.0 iso image to an USB stick, booted it and installed it to the desktop PCs hard drive. ... that I now wanted to plug this USB stick into my Dell inspiron and install FreeBSD in the same manner to a free partition on my notebooks hard drive. ... Older pc's have bios which do not have option to boot from USB stick. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: GRUB Problem: Cant Boot off my USB Disk
      ... but this time specifying MBR of the USB disk on which to install GRUB ... The reason modifying things to install GRUB onto the MBR ... One partition just big enough + 10% for the knoppix ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)