Re: Warning from DHCP server

chris_at_nospam.com
Date: 12/22/03

    Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:17:24 GMT

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:41:01 +0100, "Dieter Visser"
    <bsd@boodschappendienst.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Whenever a client in my network reboots I see a warning in the eventlog
    >about the DHCP server issuing a NACK for the adress 192.168.0.12. We do not
    >use that adress anywhere in the network. I don't understand this msg, I
    >don't understand the things I find in the TechNet articles.

    Try running a packet sniffer to look at the actual DHCP packets. An
    excellent, free sniffer is www.ethereal.com.

    What else is in the message. Often the message data will show the mac
    address or ip that the nack was sent to.

    Is 192.168.0.12 in one of your scopes? If yes, then there may be a
    device on the network using that address (or just replying to it) and
    the nack is generated when the dhcp server pings that address. If
    it's not in your defined scope, something is requesting that address.