Re: Warning from DHCP server

chris_at_nospam.com
Date: 12/22/03

    Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:17:24 GMT

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:41:01 +0100, "Dieter Visser"
    <bsd@boodschappendienst.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Whenever a client in my network reboots I see a warning in the eventlog
    >about the DHCP server issuing a NACK for the adress 192.168.0.12. We do not
    >use that adress anywhere in the network. I don't understand this msg, I
    >don't understand the things I find in the TechNet articles.

    Try running a packet sniffer to look at the actual DHCP packets. An
    excellent, free sniffer is www.ethereal.com.

    What else is in the message. Often the message data will show the mac
    address or ip that the nack was sent to.

    Is 192.168.0.12 in one of your scopes? If yes, then there may be a
    device on the network using that address (or just replying to it) and
    the nack is generated when the dhcp server pings that address. If
    it's not in your defined scope, something is requesting that address.

    • Re: RPC server is unavalaible when trying "ipconfig / renew"
      ... > address from our DHCP server (other computers can, so it is not a server ... with a fixed IP address, the computer has a normal network access, ... > so it is not a network card or a connection problem). ... it continues but has not received its IP adress ...
    • Re: RPC server is unavalaible when trying "ipconfig / renew"
      ... Dear Mark, ... >> address from our DHCP server (other computers can, so it is not a server ... >> so it is not a network card or a connection problem). ... it continues but has not received its IP adress ...
    • RPC server is unavalaible when trying "ipconfig / renew"
      ... address from our DHCP server (other computers can, so it is not a server ... with a fixed IP address, the computer has a normal network access, ... so it is not a network card or a connection problem). ... it continues but has not received its IP adress ...
    • Re: DHCP
      ... The system is win2000 advance server,use DHCP,but the DHCP server assign 8 ... IP adress to one of the computers.and the ... network ID is 'Ras'?But we have no remote user. ... > just very choosy about who its friends are, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
      ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)