Re: Warning from DHCP server

From: Lawrence Garvin (lrgarvin_at_nospam.swbell.net)
Date: 12/22/03

    Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:38:28 GMT

        Greetings Dieter.

        Normally a DHCPNACK message is transmitted when a client attempts to
    renew a lease on an address that is no longer available for lease.

        You've indicated that you do not use that network anywhere in the
    network. Assuming from this statement that you've never used this address
    anywhere in the network, it is possible that a rogue DHCP server issued that
    address to something, and that something is now attempting to renew the
    address.

        You should first verify that you have no unauthorized DHCP servers
    running on the network.

        Second, you'll want to locate this device attempting to renew the
    unavailable address.

        One way to do this is to set up a packet sniffer and capture the DHCP
    packet. However, this won't tell you much more than you can find with some
    basic tools available on any computer.

        Ping the address 192.168.0.12 and see if you get a response. If you get
    a response, then enter 'arp -a' at a command prompt. This should list the
    MAC Address of the device at 192.168.0.12. You can then use the first twelve
    characters of the MAC Address to identify the manufacturer of the device at
    that address. This may or may not help.

        There are also more advanced techniques that can be used, but since
    you've indicated that you do not understand a lot of these technical issues,
    I've refrained from adding any additional information here.

    Lawrence Garvin
    Principal/CEO
    Onsite Technology Solutions
    http://www.onsitechsolutions.com
    ICQ#: 38440195
    MSN Messenger: onsite@nospam.eforest.net
    Note: Remove 'nospam' from reply address!!
    "Dieter Visser" <bsd@boodschappendienst.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Whenever a client in my network reboots I see a warning in the eventlog
    > about the DHCP server issuing a NACK for the adress 192.168.0.12. We do
    not
    > use that adress anywhere in the network. I don't understand this msg, I
    > don't understand the things I find in the TechNet articles.
    >
    > Could somebody clarify  this for me.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Dieter

    • Cant renew DHCP IP Address! Static works fine.
      ... I have one computer on my network that can't connect to our DHCP server and ... renew it's IP, resulting in no interent connectivity. ... just came in and had no network connection. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Cant renew DHCP IP Address! Static works fine.
      ... >I have one computer on my network that can't connect to our DHCP server and ... > renew it's IP, resulting in no interent connectivity. ... > just came in and had no network connection. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • xp boxes screwed up after IPSEC policy Event ID: 615
      ... Our xp boxes cannot pull anything from outside of the network until reboot ... IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of ... If i release and renew my ip, or reboot, everything is fine. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
    • xp boxes cannot connect to anything outside of the network
      ... Our xp boxes cannot pull anything from outside of the network until reboot ... IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of ... If i release and renew my ip, or reboot, everything is fine. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)