Domain user in local Administrators or not?

From: Anssi Porttikivi (app_at__spamno_iki.fi)
Date: 10/30/03

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:24:49 +0200

Can you give me some references to documentation of different user groups
on a Windows (2000/XP) machine? If my domain user does not belong to my
machine local Administrators, what ease-of-use harm and what security does
it really offer? The most widespread viruses (Sobig, Swen,...), does it
matter to them, whether I am in local Admins or not?

How about excluding my domain user from power users, too, being only a
regular user?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: UserName and Kerberos tokens at the same time
    ... > What makes me feeling a bit strange is that the WSE 3.0 Kerberos demo also ... Are you logon the computer as a domain user when running the ... I have tried it on a Windows 2003 server as well and there I get the ...
  • RE: GPO does not apply on 2 computers unless the user is an Admin.....
    ... I understand that 2 of over 50 Windows XP machines cannot apply GPO if the ... logon user is a domain user without local admin privilege. ... Applying Windows XP Group Policy in a Windows 2000 Domain ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Application Pool + Domain User + Windows authentication - bug?
    ... This works fine on Windows 2000, but on Windows Server 2003 ... the Windows Authentication is going to crazy after the lot of page ... Create Application Pool for this application with domain user ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: TS users cannot set default printer
    ... following registry key did not exist: ... It has to do with some windows update, ... > When I log on to the TS as 'Administrator', ... When I logon as any Domain User, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients)
  • 802.11x EAP-TLS user authentication failure
    ... I have a Windows 2000 Pro workstation set up to ... computer authenticates correctly by itself when no one is ... When a domain user without local ... Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 at the ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)