Re: M$ attack on Common Sense

From: Jean-David Beyer (jdbeyer_at_exit109.com)
Date: 09/16/03

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:18:28 -0400

Bob the Knobb wrote:
> "User" <User@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I know most doctors around here use windows because they cannot
>> work out unix.
>

> The embeded systems used for medical use cannot freez up or crash
> ever. I reboot my windows machine 7 times a day, 8 or nine if I'm
> feeling Zen.

I doubt Windows is that bad. I hated Windows so much I switched to Linux
in early 1998 and never looked back except to run TurboTax and Quicken.

But my Windows 95 crashed only about three times a week. It was idle
most of the time, if that makes a difference. The programs crashed more
often than that, many times a day. Other than Netscape 3.*, they were
all provided at considerable expense by Microsoft, so there should have
been no compatibility problems. Ha! And Visual C++ could not be
installed at the same time as Office Professional because of conflicting
<B>.dll</B> file requirements. Whenever I wanted to run one of them, I
had to remove the other and install the one I needed. Pretty crappy.

But I imagine the current releases of Window are less crash-prone than
Windows 95, even with bandaids #1 and #2. So if yours crashes 7 times a
day or more, I would expect hardware problems in addition to the crummy
OS. If yours is an Intel *86 machine, I suggest you run memtest86 and
see if the memory is OK to begin with.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: P4C800-DELUXE XP Install Problems --- Hanging
    ... Windows Install Guide by Mr Steveo from ABX Zone Website. ... Additionally, if you have a Springdale or Canterwood chipset motherboard, ... Install chipset INFs before any video or sound drivers. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Checking for the latest updates....
    ... It's a good idea to install them now and then check again, ... Microsoft Windows XP ... Windows XP Service Pack 1 ... Security Update for Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: updates after format
    ... if the Microsoft Server is down. ... software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing verify its ... When you try to download an ActiveX control, install an update to Windows ... and you do not have the appropriate certificate in your Trusted Publishers ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Files Gone???
    ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...
  • Re: Universal sound card?
    ... Decided to install within windows on a laptop. ... linux is not working, they just want it to work. ... Copied the cd to the hard drive and tried to install from there. ... computers that only had floppy drives, have you running all processes with ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)