Re: M$ attack on Common Sense

From: User (User_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/14/03

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:12:51 GMT

"Ed Murphy" <emurphy42@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.09.09.02.55.55.400418@socal.rr.com...
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:07:28 +0000, User wrote:
>
> > The only medical practice I know around here that uses unix (SCO Unix)
the
> > unix box always has problems and has been of the air for several days
last
> > week. The windows machines have all worked fine!!
>
> Well, SCO is a whole other can of worms, seeing as the new owners are
> waving around lots of lawsuits / threats-of-lawsuits, claiming ownership
> of millions of lines of Linux source code, and otherwise (in the words of
> no less an authority than Linus Torvalds himself) "smoking crack". :)

This has little to do with security and more to do with linux users worried
they may have to pay US$1700 a piece if SCO succeeds (which no one belives
they will)

My understanding is that SCO is only claiming it own a very small segment of
code but it resides in amongst the kernel code so is on all linux machines.
They don't claim they own "millions of lines of Linux source code".

Relevant Pages

  • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
    ... >> unix box always has problems and has been of the air for several days ... The windows machines have all worked fine!! ... they may have to pay US$1700 a piece if SCO succeeds (which no one belives ... They don't claim they own "millions of lines of Linux source code". ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
    ... >> unix box always has problems and has been of the air for several days ... The windows machines have all worked fine!! ... they may have to pay US$1700 a piece if SCO succeeds (which no one belives ... They don't claim they own "millions of lines of Linux source code". ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
    ... > unix box always has problems and has been of the air for several days last ... The windows machines have all worked fine!! ... Well, SCO is a whole other can of worms, seeing as the new owners are ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
    ... > unix box always has problems and has been of the air for several days last ... The windows machines have all worked fine!! ... Well, SCO is a whole other can of worms, seeing as the new owners are ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
    ... > unix box always has problems and has been of the air for several days last ... The windows machines have all worked fine!! ... Well, SCO is a whole other can of worms, seeing as the new owners are ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)