Can anyone help?

From: Win2Kuser (Win2kUser_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/07/03

    Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:02:03 GMT

    Today I noticed that my Domain Controller had many entries in the security
    log. Allot of failures but some successes. I noticed that each log entry was
    from a machine called \\NTSCAN . Each log contained one username (Their
    LOGIN NAME) and either failure or success. The successes I found were
    accounts with the password being the same as the username (I didn't set
    these users up) the failures were not. Every account in the active directory
    was scanned for hours.

    My problem is, how are they getting the user names from the active
    directory? Exchange 2000 sp3 is installed, is that how they are getting the
    user login names? How can I stop this, yes I have had the users change their
    passwords to not match their username but how can I stop someone from
    obtaining the user logins. I also have all the updates from windows update
    and SP 4.

    Please advise...

    • Re: Lasted trends in automated building systems.... the Frankenstein scenario
      ... major fraction of CPU and other chips in most of our computers? ... "The Standish Group, which exists soley to track IT successes and failures, ... the art wireless controls package...... ...
      (sci.research.careers)
    • Re: progress display with multi-threads
      ... With so few failures anticipated, it's probably important to give the user a quick way to see all of them together. ... Either by filtering the results so that only failures successes are shown, or by giving the user control over the sort columns where one possible sort is with the success/failure/pending status. ... More importantly, with as few as 10,000 items, an insertion sort as items are completed is unlikely to account for a significant part of your processing. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • RE: My Annual "Hail Mary" Query
      ... I'd love to hear of your successes, or failures, for that. ... Hopefully I will be able to get over the brick wall in the near future ... To unsubscribe from the list, ...
      (soc.genealogy.ireland)
    • Re: Hypergeometric Distribution
      ... Your explanation was fine, ... calculating the probabability of getting at most 33 successes ... 461 failures is the same as the sum from 0 to 46 successes). ... My guess is that the error is coming from calculating the natural ...
      (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
    • Re: Migrating Off IBM Mainframes
      ... failures exceeded successes). ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)