Re: NT Administrator Password

From: Jeff Cochran (jcochran.nospam_at_naplesgov.com)
Date: 08/07/03

Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:54:15 GMT

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:15:13 +0100, "steve" <steve@trisys.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a very paranoid boss who is certain that his emails are being read by
>someone with the admin password. To try and calm him I have changed the
>admin password to something that I only know about - however, we all know
>that you can obtain password hacking tools straight from the web.
>
>Is there a way to make an administrators password impossible to crack ??

In practical terms you can come pretty close. In actuality, you can't
ever be 100% crack proof.

Use complex passwords, and lock the system down so you can't grab the
SAM, plus rotate paswords frequently. Check securityadmin.info for
additional suggestions.

Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • Re: question regarding SAM file / l0phtcrack / pwdump2
    ... the original question- the SAM that you were accessing on a DC wasn't ... As for why pwdump2 and pwdump3 were hanging, ... > session is enumerate info on the host. ... > admin password through a NULL session and then ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Security with XP
    ... Is it true that by deleting the SAM files anyone can gain access to a XP ... Recovering from a lost or changed admin password ... Did someone change your admin password and now you can't do anything and the ... A Win9x boot disk won't work. ...
  • Re: Security with XP
    ... > Is it true that by deleting the SAM files anyone can gain access to a XP ... > Recovering from a lost or changed admin password ... Get any Windows9x boot disk and boot up to it, ... The SAM without an extension is actually an exe file. ...
  • NT Administrator Password
    ... I have a very paranoid boss who is certain that his emails are being read by ... To try and calm him I have changed the ... admin password to something that I only know about - however, ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)