Re: Any problem reusing SID of one workstation for many others?

From: Jeff Cochran (jcochran.nospam_at_naplesgov.com)
Date: 06/16/03

    Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:50:06 GMT

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:12:06 -0700, Patrick Reany <reany@asu.edu>
    wrote:

    >A colleague is making a master drive to clone off many other drives to
    >setup identical drives in identical PCs. He is not bothering to change
    >the SIDs of the clones to ensure that they have unique SIDs within the
    >domain. He claims that he has done this before with no problem. Can this
    >go wrong, and if so, how? The client PCs are WinXP and the domain is
    >either either WinNT or Win2K.

    So far, we haven't run into issues with duplicate SIDs, but there is a
    potential for problems. It depends on your security setup, and the
    real kicker is you don't know what's coming down the road where you'll
    need individual SIDs. It's not that hard to run Sysprep anyway.

    Jeff

    • Re: ghstwalk, Outlook Express
      ... I have never deployed a Win2K or WinXP platform without a Sysprep operation ... there are corrective actions and because I wanted anecdotal information of an example of why ... not having unique SIDs can be detrimental. ...
    • Re: ghstwalk, Outlook Express
      ... I have never deployed a Win2K or WinXP platform without a Sysprep operation ... there are corrective actions and because I wanted anecdotal information of an example of why ... not having unique SIDs can be detrimental. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)