Re: Spooler subsystem app accessing DNS

From: John S. Giltner, Jr. (giltjr_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 06/08/03

Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:52:46 GMT

I would suggest installing ethereal, or any other IP sniffing software,
and look at what name it is attempting to reslove. This could give you
a clue as to what is going on.

The only reason that the spooler should attempt to contact a DNS server,
at least that I can think of, is if you are attempting print to a
printer using TCP/IP printing (LPR/LPD). This has nothing to do with
NETBIOS print or file sharing.

I have read that you have NETBIOS over TCP/IP disabled and so you are
only using NETBEUI. It does not matter, if you attempt use the LPR
command to print to a remote printer, it has nothing to do with NETBIOS.

In fact even if you had NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled and were doing print
over it, the spooler shoud never contact a DNS server. The spooler
would talk to NETBIOS and NETBIOS would attempt to reslove the name.

Boogie Woogie Flu wrote:
> No miscommunication. Just misinformation.
>
> "Ellie" <ACEHMP@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>>Nope. It's definitely the DNS server assigned by my ISP.
>>
>>Perhaps we're miscommunicating.
>>
>>The DNS server assigned by your ISP IS YOU -- it's your computer(your
>>computer acts as a "server" during connection to the internet, and has
>>a DNS decimal name assigned to it that correlates with your computer's
>>short name. This has nothing to do with the 127.0.0.1 internal
>>communication, per se).
>>
>>Think about it. There's no reason/way for ZA to alert YOU to an
>>attempt to access your ISP's DNS. Your ISP's DNS is a huge computer
>>somewhere else, with it's own "short name," and other than the initial
>>handshake between you and your ISP (which is when "short names" were
>>exchanged and your connection-specific DNS was assigned to YOUR short
>>name), your computer's software couldn't care less about your
>>provider's short name.
>>
>>Just trying to help you think through your issue. I certainly don't
>>know all the answers!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Spooler subsystem app accessing DNS
    ... I would suggest installing ethereal, or any other IP sniffing software, ... The only reason that the spooler should attempt to contact a DNS server, ... NETBIOS print or file sharing. ... would talk to NETBIOS and NETBIOS would attempt to reslove the name. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Spooler subsystem app accessing DNS
    ... I would suggest installing ethereal, or any other IP sniffing software, ... The only reason that the spooler should attempt to contact a DNS server, ... NETBIOS print or file sharing. ... would talk to NETBIOS and NETBIOS would attempt to reslove the name. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Spooler subsystem app accessing DNS
    ... I would suggest installing ethereal, or any other IP sniffing software, ... The only reason that the spooler should attempt to contact a DNS server, ... NETBIOS print or file sharing. ... would talk to NETBIOS and NETBIOS would attempt to reslove the name. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Name resolution order in Windows 7
    ... I disabled netBIOS and IPV6, flushed DNS ... disabled in Windows without disabling ... ... Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: What is FQDN ?
    ... Active Directory setup Wizard didn't add my computer name which is "DC1DNSAD". ... Connection-specific DNS Suffix. ... I think at one Point AD Setup Wizard ask you Question What should be NETBIOS ... How to Configure OEx for Internet News ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)