Re: Spooler subsystem app accessing DNS

From: Steven L Umbach (sumbach_at_ameritech.net)
Date: 05/09/03

    Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 20:38:21 GMT

            It may access the ISP dns server to find the website it wants, since
    ip addresses may change over time. The only thing I can suggest to track
    down what is happening is to try a trace as I suggested in original
    st. --- Steve

    "Boogie Woogie Flu" <spam@email.sux> wrote in message
    > > I have noticed some applications try to access websites for
    > drivers,
    > > application updates, registration, etc. Probably nothing malicious. If
    you
    > > are curious, let it proceed sometime to see what happens - maybe to the
    > > point where you can identify the website it wants to access by using
    > > nslookup against the ip address it wants to access. I usually just block
    > > this stuff without getting any annoying notification. --- Steve
    > >

    > This was my original thought. I could see this for Photoshop maybe, but
    > Microsoft Photo Editor? This program is years old and updates are only
    > available through MS Office Service Releases. There is no registration,
    > automatic update or update notification function in this application, I'm
    > pretty sure of that. And if this were the case, would it not access the
    > software maker's website and not my ISP's DNS? Most importantly, it's not
    > the app itself trying to access the internet, it's the Spooler Subsystem
    > App. It seems to happen only when I launch these programs.

    • Re: Access is denied after applying security updates
      ... I am pleased that my website works for you as it means that the ... But wen I switched it ON, I saw the bar and allowed my page for popup. ... But when I deleted the updates I could popup again ... ... So I deleted the installation of the above updates and now it works again. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: symantec website
      ... >have norton antivirus and firewall, ... >updates because when I try to sign on to symantec website, ... Install and run Spybot. ...
    • Re: [SLE] Website wont stay open with Mozilla. Where to begin looking for a fix?
      ... On Tuesday 05 October 2004 01:32, Gil Weber wrote: ... > Then about 2 weeks ago I started having problems with one website. ... > than regular updates using the Yast2 on-line update feature and RedCarpet ... to do the decent thing and produce standards compliant pages, if not, tell ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] Website wont stay open with Mozilla. Where to begin looking for a fix?
      ... On Tuesday 05 Oct 2004 01:32, Gil Weber wrote: ... > Then about 2 weeks ago I started having problems with one website. ... > than regular updates using the Yast2 on-line update feature and RedCarpet ... connecting with Linux and they WILL get toasted /fried/baked/burnt soon. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Problem with one website only
      ... I haven't installed any updates recently, ... I manually install all critical updates, ... from the Windows Update website as they become available. ... >> Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files ...