Re: Spooler subsystem app accessing DNS

From: Boogie Woogie Flu (spam_at_email.sux)
Date: 05/09/03

Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 19:26:14 GMT

> I have noticed some applications try to access websites for
drivers,
> application updates, registration, etc. Probably nothing malicious. If you
> are curious, let it proceed sometime to see what happens - maybe to the
> point where you can identify the website it wants to access by using
> nslookup against the ip address it wants to access. I usually just block
> this stuff without getting any annoying notification. --- Steve

This was my original thought. I could see this for Photoshop maybe, but
Microsoft Photo Editor? This program is years old and updates are only
available through MS Office Service Releases. There is no registration,
automatic update or update notification function in this application, I'm
pretty sure of that. And if this were the case, would it not access the
software maker's website and not my ISP's DNS? Most importantly, it's not
the app itself trying to access the internet, it's the Spooler Subsystem
App. It seems to happen only when I launch these programs.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: XP does not recognize my integrated Ethernet adapter
    ... reinstalled the same version of XP Pro with SP2 & all the latest updates. ... You need drivers for the motherboard, video, audio, network adapter, etc. ... The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; ... install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc Advisor or System Information for Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: xp freeze up on downloads
    ... whole system failure even if it still doesnt have all updates. ... Since you did a clean install, did you also install drivers for all your ... Never get drivers from Windows Update. ... The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Access is denied after applying security updates
    ... I am pleased that my website works for you as it means that the ... But wen I switched it ON, I saw the bar and allowed my page for popup. ... But when I deleted the updates I could popup again ... ... So I deleted the installation of the above updates and now it works again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: symantec website
    ... >have norton antivirus and firewall, ... >updates because when I try to sign on to symantec website, ... Install and run Spybot. ...
  • RE: burning devices not found
    ... Go to the website of the manufacturer for driver updates. ... has all the drivers listed, all you need is the make to find it and download, you ... > Recording on this Device" ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.music)