Re: Real-life problem: Installing applications onto workstations in a domain without giving users admin access

From: - AJS (A)
Date: 04/21/03

From: "- AJS" <A Smith at window products dott com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:08:57 -0700

"Freddy Söderlund" <freddy.soderlund@chello.se> wrote in message
news:6nc5a.171938$481.29902@amstwist00...
(SNIP)
> I don't want to give the users any other rights/access other than normal
> user rights/access.
> I don't want to install any extra services/applications to make this work.
>
> And what I want to know:
>
> Is it possible to somehow, let users initiate a software (application)
> installation from, for example, a loginscript, withouth giving the users
> anything but normal user rights/access or to have to install any "service
> applications/services" to enable this?

No. It's not possible. Any script that runs after login (login scripts,
Start-up menu) all execute in the context of the User. Any variation on this
would be a failure of the system security.

Additionally, use of Run As - as your post mentioned later - would require
your users to have an account to plug into the script. Any scripted call of
the Run As service - say in a log-in script - would provide your elevated
account name and password to anyone who wanted to pause the script and read
the text. Or simply edit the login script, for that matter. (Since your
users must have access to read the script before they could execute it.

Sorry, your following a dead-end path in this case.

- AJS

  • Re: Deploying Office 07 with Group Policy
    ... computer I tested it on took 30 minutes to install. ... the following script to the Computer Startup Script. ... REM Get ProductName from the Office product's core Setup.xml file. ... REM Set ConfigFile to the configuration file to be used for deployment REM ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • Re: [opensuse] Editting PATH variable
    ... SuSEconfig script ... ... not knowing what you options you used to install ... If your unfamiliar with Bash a good book is 'Learning the Bash Shell' by ... For Java use editing the PATH variable is NOT required... ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: WTF would ANYONE buy a WIn 7 PC?
    ... Ten minutes later that account is empty, ... Hey I should not teach script kiddies here ... ... And most of this software had nothing to do with needing to install a keyboard hook, let alone attempt to hook into some DLL's that get used system wide. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: KB911280 update problem
    ... Microsoft is working on an amended patch which will address this issue. ... Microsoft advises anyone affected by this to not install the patch and to ... That script is broken by the patch. ... He said he could not write a bug report ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • help with a home network jumpstart
    ... I have the blade running BIND 8 to serve DNS to the home network. ... Here's the output of the boot net - install: ... Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information. ... Using begin script: install_begin ...
    (SunManagers)