Re: How to restrict user from downloads, access to display settings, and more w/o domain?

From: Sam Bixby (
Date: 01/28/03

From: "Sam Bixby" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:09:28 -0000

if you set up different users with differing rights then you can set it so
that only admin can run poledit. at least as far as i can tell. this is on
win9x machines.

"John Thompson" <> wrote in message
> In article <b1342u$sem$>, Sam Bixby
> > using poledit you can stop users changing their desktop - amoungst other
> > things. at least on nt4 workstation and win 9x. if youve not used
> > just mail me and i will mail you a user guide i wrote for myself
> On Win9x/ME this is pretty trivial security, as any user could re-run
> poledit for themselves and remove the restrictions. On NT/2k/XP this is
> more difficult.
> --
> -John (

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Admin$ share
    ... Try a search on "Admin Share" w/o the quotes in the Windows 2000 Help. ... I'm not sure why you are using poledit in Windows 2000. ... > Create Hidden Drive Shares, ...
  • Admin$ share
    ... I have Windows 2000 Server installed on the E: ... Admin$ share to install a program. ... I already went to Poledit and checked the ... Can this work if I have the operating ...