Re: Password Cracking

From: Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.ULib.IUPUI.Edu)
Date: 01/24/03

From: "Mark H. Wood" <mwood@mhw.ULib.IUPUI.Edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:08:48 +0000 (UTC)

Fireglyph <fireglyph@gmx.net> wrote:
[snip]
> the randomness involved in the generation process. A password like
> "#A!+Opz/" is as good as "TzPMjkL" if both were generated truly
> randomly, but "Orange" is definitely a weak password.

Good as far is it goes, but please remember that "#A!+Opz/" is a weak
password for an entirely different reason: nobody will even *try* to
learn such a monster by heart. They'll write it on a slip of paper
and take it out to look at it a dozen times a day, and before long a
determined intruder can find out what it is by reading it directly off
the paper.

Eventually one is able to learn even horrible things like "#A!+Opz/"
through sheer repetition. But sites which enforce the use of
hair-raising passwords also tend to limit password lifetime, with the
likely result that nobody ever has time to learn his password by heart
before it is forcibly retired.

MS Windows *is* user-friendly, but only for certain values of "user".

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Twin Primes Conjecture
    ... >>>Yes, I agree with you it is nonsense, if and only if you can prove ... >>>knowledge nobody has ever proved or disproved the randomness of the ... Prev by Date: ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Luann 2/21
    ... Remember that nobody accepts randomness in his own success, ... only his failure. ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Dan ONeill salutes the Gipcentennial
    ... Mark Jackson - http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~mjackson ... Remember that nobody accepts randomness in his own success, ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Re: Dawkins weasel program random selection or selection at random?
    ... Well actually from a pure math point of view nobody knows what ... Well, actually, from apure mathpoint of view, we know quite well - I ... We know what randomness ...
    (talk.origins)