Re: Strong Passwords Revisited

From: DaveK (DaveK@dontspamme.petitmorte.noireallydontlikethepinkstuff.net)
Date: 01/21/03

From: "DaveK" <DaveK@dontspamme.petitmorte.noireallydontlikethepinkstuff.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:29:24 -0000

"Lohkee" <Lohkee@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:cJVW9.4334$zF6.373075@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <jamescagney90210@excite.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Olaf Kilian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > The later the password would be guesed, the stronger it is. It
absolutly
> > > depends on the method of the attack used against it. If you try to
> > > bruteforce a password with 0-8 chars - all alpha, lowercase - and you
> > > begin with "a", than "zzzzzzzz" is very strong. But if you begin
> > > guessing in reverse order "zzzzzzzz" is a joke and "a" is the
strongest.

> I agree in terms of time, however, this has nothing to do with "strength"
> per se.

The fact that you believe in the notion of "strength per se" of a security
technology, rather than "strength against a given threat model", is the real
root of your confusion here. It's a meaningless concept. Against
rubber-hose cryptography, for example, all passwords are exactly as strong
or weak as each other, since a person's ability to resist torture does not
depend on the length (or indeed any other properties at all) of the password
they are being tortured to reveal. Against dictionary attack, non-words are
better; and against a full brute-force search, well, it depends what order
the search is done in, but whatever's furthest in search space from the
starting point is better.

> It is possible that an attacker could guess the password on the
> first attempt regardless of the number of possibilities or the contruction
> of the password. Strength is based on the number of possibilities, the
more
> there are, the less likely it is that this will happen.

Nope, that's merely *your* definition of strength, based on your
misunderstanding of how the term is currently used. Number of combinatorial
possibilities is only ONE of the factors on which the strength of a password

is based. Threat model, as explained above, is a factor which can entirely
override the contribution made by the number of combinatorial possibilities
to the strength of a pw.

> I think "discouragingly" is relative. As longs as I can crack a password
> before it expires, say 90 days, then 91 days becomes discouraging,
otherwise
> it is not a problem (depending on how bad I want to crack it - if there is
> little payoff then why bother at all, i.e., 2 days is too much effort - if
> the payoff is great then . . . )

See my other reply, where I demonstrate that your estimates of the
practicability of exhaustive brute force searches are out by a factor of
nearly a hundred thousand times.

         DaveK

--
moderator of
alt.talk.rec.soc.biz.news.comp.humanities.meow.misc.moderated.meow