NT4 policy and W2K clients

From: tom (tom.robinson@auto-online.co.uk)
Date: 01/13/03

    From: tom.robinson@auto-online.co.uk (tom)
    Date: 13 Jan 2003 04:28:53 -0800

    Hi,

    I'm having GREAT difficulty getting the NT4 policy to behave
    coherently.

    The Network:
    We have a domain with one NT4 server as PDC and one as a BDC. There is
    one other NT4 server in the domain that is neither PDC or PDC, just a
    server. We also have two (2) W2K clients. Quite a small setup but we
    anticipate adding more W2K clients soon.

    Firstly: Is it OK to use NT4 to pass a policy to a W2K client?

    The Problems:
    When I log in as a domain user and run outlook 2000 or IE6 they have
    to be re-installed. This happens on the NT server as well as the W2K
    clients.

    Although I've set specific options in the policy they don't seem to
    apply (e.g. disabling the "control panel/display" has absolutely no
    effect. There are others, too).

    This has been frustrating me for over a week and I still have no
    coherent policy. I need help before my brain melts!

    Thanks

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Account Lockout threshold
      ... necessary functionality identified under name PDC emulator ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Server: Security) ... > Domain Contoller Security Policy - Account lockout threshold ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Folder Redirection Over VPN
      ... Is it in the GPO itself? ... PDC holder - that this is the only one you can make changes on and this is ... office and create a OU for that branch in AD and assign a group policy to it ... - when the users boot up will they come across the WAN for there group policy ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
    • Re: 1202 errors
      ... Did you upgrade your PDC to a W2K3 server? ... Server User Assistance - Group Policy ... > "Windows cannot open the local policy database. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
    • Re: NT password expiration policy
      ... >password at the same time when you first turn on this policy. ... >appling to a group untill we are ready, it make life easier for the PDC. ... >staggererd everyones forced password change. ... >password never expires, instead of VB. ...
      (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
    • Re: Setting Timing for PDC 2003r? Errors 1058 and 1030
      ... If you move the FSMO roles to the new DC you have also to do some changes for the time configuration on the PDCEmulator: ... for the list of Group Policy objects. ... PDC and old DC are both setting up to synch with internet clock ... I do not know whether timing set up should be the same with PDC as ...