Re: WinXP Pro - Lost admin pwd

From: Arron Pitman (arron.pitman@footfall.com)
Date: 01/08/03

From: arron.pitman@footfall.com (Arron Pitman)
Date: 8 Jan 2003 08:17:33 -0800

Hit this website and download the bootdisk.

It's a powerful tool so take your time and read the instructions.

"RCC" <rcc76@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ffJM9.6599$kq6.140068@news.xtra.co.nz>...
> "stig brahe sørensen" <2127819m001@mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote in message
> > Once I locked out all my administrative accounts - bad idea - I fixed this
> > problem starting Winxp Pro box in recovery console. Here I copied the SAM
> > from %systemroot%\repair to %systemroot%\config - this will restore the
> > original password from installation point to the administrator account.
> > Unfortunately this solution overrides all user accounts!
> >
> > stig_brahe@hotmail.com
> >
> > "Trevor Rickards" <trickards@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > > Laurent,
> > > As you state that you can log in as an admin user, a tool such as
> > > L0pht Crack or John the ripper can crack the password for you so that
> > > you can retrieve it.
> > >
> > > A more preferable method would be to reset it to something you know, and
> > > if Michael's guess that your password is blank is incorrect, why not
> just
> > > reset
> > > it by going to:
> > > Control Panel -->Administrative Tools --> Computer management
> > > Under Local Users and Groups, go to users and pick the Administrator
> > > account from the list and reset the password.
> > >
> > > Trevor Rickards
> > > Technical Analyst
> > > Information Management
> > > Saskatchewan Environment
> > >
> > > "Michael S." <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
> blank
> and
> account
> it

> password
> "Prevent

> Windows
> can
> WinXP?

> There is a Linux floppy disk floating around with the admin password reset
> option.
> Alternatively, get a copy of ERD commander Pro from Winternals
> Regards,
> RCC

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Password disappears
    ... account password will be reset to empty automatic. ... SBS infected by Trojan horse. ... Configure account lockout policy. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Quick question on resetting computer accounts in AD
    ... and recreating the account. ... Is it okay to use the reset account function? ... SBS Server Management console does not have "Reset Account" command to ... In fact, the SBS Server Management console has already integrated ADUC, you ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Reset of local user password deleted compressed folders
    ... I suggest you search the hard disk to confirm if the files are deleted. ... For any of the following resolutions to work, the user's original account ... This password recovery disk must have ... Click "use your password reset disk". ...
  • Re: I inherited my Fathers Computer on His Passing April 27,2009
    ... Second, if this is not XP Pro, the password problem is simple and can be ... Unless the account credentials were backed up and can be restored, ... have the encrypting file system. ... This will allow you to work on the new, cloned copy of the drive, reset the ...
  • RE: Single sign on
    ... How to authentificate an user via telephon? ... > Avatier has a product which would allow users to reset their own passwords ... >> for the person whose account is reset. ... >> would only be accessible by the person whose account is reset. ...
    (Security-Basics)