Problems substituting a NT 4.0 server with a Win2000 server

From: Andrei Dumitrescu (qsad@yahoo.com)
Date: 11/26/02

    From: qsad@yahoo.com (Andrei Dumitrescu)
    Date: 26 Nov 2002 10:18:04 -0800

    Hi folks,
    I hope you can help me out with this one. Here's my problem:

    I'm supposed to "migrate" a NT network to Win2000. Most client
    workstation are W2000 Prof. already, the server is a Win NT4 machine.
    There's also an Exchange 5.5 server on that server, which is critical
    to some users.

    What I've done was to install Win200 Server to a new PC, and try to
    configure it as the PDC for the existing domain. Unfortunately this
    wouldn't work as long as the old server was still around, it wouldn't
    even let me config it as "just another server" on that domain, because
    of the lack of Active Directory (AD) structures with the old NT
    domain. So I changed the old PDC's domain name to something else, just
    to get rid of him for a while (most users on the network were logged
    in locally anyhow), and configured my new Win2000 server as the PDC
    for a new domain named just like the old one. This worked.

    Now I need to get the NT server back on line, because of the Exchange
    Server I still need to be running (I'm also supposed to transfer all
    data to a new Exchange 2000 Server on the fresh machine, but I haven't
    come to that so far).
    Problem is, the old server won't rejoin the domain; when I try to
    change the domain name in "Settings\Network" it says: "The domain name
    entered is already in use by other computers."

    Maybe this because of the NT server trying to act as the PDC for that
    domain; howerver what I need is to have him as "just another server"
    on the same domain.
    I can't remove it form the "phony" domain I created to get himm off
    the other one, nor can I demote him to a simple server/workstation.

    Most disturbing of all, the Exchange server isn't running anymore: I
    get this message when starting the Exchange Administrator tool.
    Could anyone help? I need at least to get the Exchange Server running
    and accessible to all before I can go home tonight :((
    Thanks in advance (and sorry about the crossposting),
    André

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Exchange Disaster Recovery Server
      ... The backup server is setup also in the lab so I ... >>> The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. ... >>> Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)
    • Thanks to All Or How I saved my AD
      ... and do rebuild of Windows 2000 Server and Service Packs. ... Explorer 5.5, Backup Exec, Diskkeeper and McAfee. ... But Exchange was unable to Mount ... receiving complaints from all over the network about all kinds of problems. ...
    • Thanks to All Or How I saved my AD
      ... and do rebuild of Windows 2000 Server and Service Packs. ... Explorer 5.5, Backup Exec, Diskkeeper and McAfee. ... But Exchange was unable to Mount ... receiving complaints from all over the network about all kinds of problems. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange2000.active.directory.integration)
    • Re: Same two Domain Names in the same network
      ... in migrating exchange from old server to the new. ... Both these domain exist in the same network. ... "Meinolf Weber" wrote: ... roles can only be on a dDC not on a member server. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
    • Re: 24 hours of.. ummm.. fun?
      ... Directory with a 2k server. ... Exchange to the network. ... my remote users to really use all the features, ...
      (alt.2600)