Q: Remove t@gged directories

From: Hans D. Jensen (hans.d.jensen@mail.dkX)
Date: 11/21/02

From: "Hans D. Jensen" <hans.d.jensen@mail.dkX>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:49:59 +0100

I left the ftp-server under ISS 5.0 on an XP machine open for anonymous
uploads for a short while, and was t@gged, ie. someone created a 12-level
subdirectory structure in the upload directory using reserved filenames such
as "com2", "com3", as well as " " (in DOS 8.3 lists as "0200~1") (see the
dir listing below). The directory is on a NTFS partition.

While it was no big problem to remove the uploaded files, and rename some of
the more normal subdirectories, I simply cannot get rid of the rest. I have
tried Explorer delete, DEL, and rm.exe from Unix utilities with rm -r- f, on
the bottom directory level as well as the top. At the top one, " ", I get
"Access denied" (the sub-dirs are still there), on the bottom level I get
"No such file" (also when using wildcards).

Any other tools or ideas for cleaning up this mess? I am thinking something
that can erase the top directory from the NTFS allocation table (if such a
thing exists?)...

Sincerely,
Hans.
hans@thejensens.dk

Directory of D:\Uploads\
\dd\dd\com2\tagreepelsteel\com3\scanbypooker\dd\dd\dd
               0 File(s) 0 bytes
               6 Dir(s) 9 170 882 560 bytes free

Relevant Pages

  • Re: image uploads and version control?
    ... you have to tell the SubVersion controll that it controlsl the ... uploaded files as well (you have to add the uploaded files to the ... under version control, and if I checkout or export the site from ... When I accept my uploads, ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: Why PHP is so much more popular for web-development
    ... application runs as the webserver user, uploaded files, and the directory ... where they reside, must be accessible and writable by that user. ... accesses, adds, removes, or defaces your uploaded content. ... uploads in a directory whose name is known only to you (let's say it's ...
    (comp.lang.python)