Re: Protecting a file from the administrator (Windows 2k)?

From: Eric Torbenson (ert1@nospamoptonline.net)
Date: 09/30/02

From: Eric Torbenson <ert1@nospamoptonline.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:55:35 GMT

Niels C Krieger Lassen <nckl@videometer.com> wrote:
> Is there a way of protecting a file/directory from
> modification/deletion by the administrator of a local Win2000 system ?
> I guess not, but if that's the case, can I at least audit such events
> (file modification) in the security log? From the reply of Eric
> Torbenson to my previous posting (thanks!), I guess the answer is yes
> (unfortunately the administrator can clear this log, but at least this
> clearing would be logged).

>><Krieger><

You really don't trust your admins, do you? :-)

As mentioned in a reply to one of my posts, a third-party syslog wrapper is
probably your best bet.

However, as a workaround you could set the membership for this user that you
don't trust so that they don't belong to the Administrators group, then grant
the user special permissions that don't include the Change Permission, Take
Ownership or View Permissions permission. It would help if I knew what you
needed this for. You can email me with a more complex explanation if you
like.

-Eric

Relevant Pages

  • Re: EMERGENCY: Files lost
    ... Windows XP Home Edition, with SP2. ... or other folders and files at that level. ... Administrator, I do have normal access to all files and folders. ... You now need to edit the permissions of every file (step 6 on my page. ...
  • Re: User Account Suddenly Unaccessable
    ... Revert to the original profile folder. ... Log on as administrator ... The Sharing tab has "Do not share this folder" checked, and the rest of the tab has no data. ... In the middle section none of the "permissions" categories have any checkmarks - no marks in allow, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Do not have accessibility to change certain file names
    ... ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. ... you can set XP Home permissions in Safe Mode. ... Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to ...
  • Re: User Account Suddenly Unaccessable
    ... Revert to the original profile folder. ... Log on as administrator ... The Sharing tab has "Do not share this folder" checked, and the rest of the tab has no data. ... In the middle section none of the "permissions" categories have any checkmarks - no marks in allow, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • RE: Administrator without full pemission?
    ... Checked the permissions on Failed Mail folder: ... Checked Active Directory Users and Computers, Administrators, Members Tab. ... please contact your administrator'. ... how do I get the mails in Failed Mail Folder ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)