Re: Accessing Administrative Shares

From: Daniel Lohmann (daniel@uni-koblenz.de)
Date: 09/23/02

From: Daniel Lohmann <daniel@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:33:48 +0200

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:34:20 GMT, Eric R Torbenson
<ert1@nospam.optonline.net> wrote:

>Chris,
>
>Could this be the new, kinder, gentler version of the classic NT error message
>"The Credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials."?
>
>One NT feature is that the system generally won't let you open a connection
>to a share with an account that has more privileges than the one you're logged
>on with. It's a defense against a standard user grabbing an admin password.
>if they can't log in interactively to their system, they can't damage the
>network with that user ID. Or something like that. :)

>Test this out: Remove the mapping that exists already and try again. It should
>work.

Aehm, not that secure than, eh? The ordinary user could also remove
the existing mapping and the it works. Can't believe that it was meant
to be a security feature...

Because there is also another way. NT stores the credidentials of a
session with the name of the server. If you access the server by its
IP instead of its name you get a secondary logon:

net use \\192.168.47.11\C$ /U:Administrator

would do it.

Daniel

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problems with org chart
    ... The server application, source file, or item can't be found ... An error occurred and this feature ... and then returns the following error message. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Cannot log onto Win2K Pro from Win NT4 server
    ... The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials." ... The Google search does have this error message, but it doesn't give a way to ... as the server is scheduled to be restarted this ... >> have the user set up on the Win2K machine, but every time I attempt to ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: cant receive mail
    ... feature that the server does not understand. ... Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers. ... Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 ... I get this error message: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Problems with org chart
    ... Microsoft PowerPoint can't start the application required ... An error occurred and this feature ... and then returns the following error message. ... The server application, source file, or item can't be ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: IDS Feature Request List (including potential new requests).
    ... prepared SQL statements a feature Oracle does not have! ... each hit to the database uses any available connection that exists. ... server if you have 2000 connections and 25 prepared statements then you ... Obnoxio suggested using stored procedures (in a direct email not posted ...
    (comp.databases.informix)