Re: Privilege-escalation attacks on NT-based Windows are unfixable

From: Edward Elliott (nobody@
Date: 08/27/02

From: Edward Elliott <nobody@>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:46:53 GMT

Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:
> Tore Lund wrote:
>>Maybe the strings you have in mind should be considered to be another
>>data type. (If, that is, a data type is needed for such strings.) The
>>"string" type that we need for displaying and manipulating character
>>data was never meant to hold an encyclopedia.
> Gee, what was it intended for, if not a representation of a coherent
> run of text?

65,535 characters is plenty for a "run of text". Linear memory arrays
get very costly to manipulate when they get to be that large anyway.
Look at the Boost library's rope class for a more efficient structure
for very large strings (it appears likely rope will make it into the
next C++ Standard library).

Edward Elliott

Relevant Pages

  • Re: User Input issue
    ... now we know that the int data type uses 4 bytes of memory. ... You wrote a moment ago that the programmer does not ... covered strings yet (I'm a college freshman in a Programming I/Novice ...
  • Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...
    ... > strings or integers helps our customers. ... It depends on what the *language* defines as a string or character. ... all versions of MS Basic, back to CP/M and TRSDOS, the $tring data type was ... I'd characterize the change from windows to .NET ...
  • Re: Quick Summary of WG5/J3 London meeting
    ... The schedule for publishing the standard has been stretched ... sophisticated bit data type support. ... particularly interested in support for the ability to define a structure consisting of a mixture of defined and intrinsic data types with single or multi-bit bit strings and arrays of single or multi-bit bit strings and ability to define strings of longer than and not necessarily an even multiple of the sizes of native types ...
  • Re: URGENT: Problem in reading excel file in ASP :( - TRAILING SPACE problem
    ... Your column of data contains some entries that are strings ... based on the data type of the majority of those records. ... > "Sheet1" of the excel file. ... The cells which returned NULL values in my ...
  • Re: Between dates
    ... FromDOS and ToDOS are Date data type ... What type of strings? ... Some formats ... What Excel does with type conversion is magic and not ...