Re: Privilege-escalation attacks on NT-based Windows are unfixable

From: Edward Elliott (nobody@127.0.0.1)
Date: 08/27/02

From: Edward Elliott <nobody@127.0.0.1>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:46:53 GMT

Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:
> Tore Lund wrote:
>>Maybe the strings you have in mind should be considered to be another
>>data type. (If, that is, a data type is needed for such strings.) The
>>"string" type that we need for displaying and manipulating character
>>data was never meant to hold an encyclopedia.
>
> Gee, what was it intended for, if not a representation of a coherent
> run of text?

65,535 characters is plenty for a "run of text". Linear memory arrays
get very costly to manipulate when they get to be that large anyway.
Look at the Boost library's rope class for a more efficient structure
for very large strings (it appears likely rope will make it into the
next C++ Standard library).

--
Edward Elliott

Relevant Pages

  • Re: User Input issue
    ... now we know that the int data type uses 4 bytes of memory. ... You wrote a moment ago that the programmer does not ... covered strings yet (I'm a college freshman in a Programming I/Novice ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: some interesting perspectives on .NET from the other camp ...
    ... > strings or integers helps our customers. ... It depends on what the *language* defines as a string or character. ... all versions of MS Basic, back to CP/M and TRSDOS, the $tring data type was ... I'd characterize the change from windows to .NET ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Quick Summary of WG5/J3 London meeting
    ... The schedule for publishing the standard has been stretched ... sophisticated bit data type support. ... particularly interested in support for the ability to define a structure consisting of a mixture of defined and intrinsic data types with single or multi-bit bit strings and arrays of single or multi-bit bit strings and ability to define strings of longer than and not necessarily an even multiple of the sizes of native types ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Between dates
    ... FromDOS and ToDOS are Date data type ... What type of strings? ... Some formats ... What Excel does with type conversion is magic and not ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: URGENT: Problem in reading excel file in ASP :( - TRAILING SPACE problem
    ... Your column of data contains some entries that are strings ... based on the data type of the majority of those records. ... > "Sheet1" of the excel file. ... The cells which returned NULL values in my ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)