Re: Privilege-escalation attacks on NT-based Windows are unfixable

From: Alun Jones (alun@texis.com)
Date: 08/23/02

From: alun@texis.com (Alun Jones)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:02:53 GMT

In article <ak5dve$aa1$2@nyheter.crt.se>, phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:
>One can easily install 2 graphics cards, 2 keyboards 2 mice and have
>two users logged at the same time. Correct ?

Is this really what you think the definition of "multi-user OS" is? In that
case, DOS with a third-party task-switcher had such a capability back in the
80s. I think you need to reconsider your definition of multi-user OS to
include the ability to run processes in different, and markedly separable user
contexts. The ability to add an external 'head' is not what makes a
multi-user OS, nor is the ability to have more than one simultaneous
interactive session - that merely makes a multi-user OS into a
multiple-interactive-user OS.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT.