Re: Privilege-escalation attacks on NT-based Windows are unfixable

From: Alun Jones (alun@texis.com)
Date: 08/22/02

From: alun@texis.com (Alun Jones)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:15:14 GMT

In article <3D6472B5.6C2AEB06@zetnet.co.uk>, David Hopwood
<david.hopwood@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>That won't work if Admin has a window on the same desktop as JoeUser, because
>then there is no way for it to protect its private key.

Correct - this would suggest that the "RunAs" capability is a bad one to use
in practice.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Privilege-escalation attacks on NT-based Windows are unfixable
    ... you are pretty much on target in that the window being hit has ... >boatload of them scattered all over and within the apps out there. ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: SSL Key Install Question
    ... >OK so we suck it up and pay the $100 to get another key ... If you're within a short window, you might be able to get a free ... re-issue of your certificate with a different public key, only Verisign will ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT. ...
  • Re: Privilege-escalation attacks on NT-based Windows are unfixable
    ... you are pretty much on target in that the window being hit has ... >boatload of them scattered all over and within the apps out there. ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT. ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: Privilege-escalation attacks on NT-based Windows are unfixable
    ... >That won't work if Admin has a window on the same desktop as JoeUser, ... >then there is no way for it to protect its private key. ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Opening a workbook window maximized
    ... Dave, I wasn't suggesting your code doesn't work, and thanks for the extra ... If the window element is protected, why doesn't it re-open the same size as ... .Protect, True, True ... I am trying to ensure that the sheet window in an Excel workbook always opens ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)