How to protect from SMTP port abuse

From: Peter B. Steiger (see.sig@for.email.address)
Date: 08/14/02

From: "Peter B. Steiger" <see.sig@for.email.address>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:54:39 GMT

I have a customer running Exchange 5.0 on NT 4.0 to handle their company's
email, and after several years it's no surprise that someone finally
noticed an unsecured SMTP port; now spammers are routing so much mail
through this port that their own email is getting lost and the server keeps
dying. Microsoft says they can't get the Exchange 5.5 upgrade (which
supposedly addresses this) without also upgrading Windows, which they
aren't in any hurry to do. I agree with them - going to 2000 would be a
downgrade, not an upgrade.

So... is there any third-party firewall they can install on their mail
server that will block unauthorized access to SMTP, or an alternative to
Exchange 5.0 that provides superior security options? I don't know how
addicted they are to Exchange, so if you can suggest another NT-friendly
alternative I'll pass that on as well.

I already tried suggesting they switch to Linux, and they just laughed at
me. Oh, well...

Muchas thanks,

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot canada (or vice-versa). All advertisements will be returned to your postmaster, eh!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Validation for 2000 to 2003 upgrade
    ... Concerning the Exchange attribute in schema that will get duplicate during ... I don't want to have to run the adprep from the exchange server cdrom before ... Inplace upgrade will work without problem from 2000 to 2003, ...
  • Re: forestprep and domainprep on a Windows 2000/Exchange 2000 Dire
    ... You can not upgrade the schema until you change the names with the .ldf script. ... During the upgrade phase it will use the RFC compliant name versions, that are not existing, because Exchange 2000 use names that where not RFC compliant as stated in the document. ... OK with the Windows Server 2003 forestprep/domainprep? ...
  • Re: WinNT Domain to Win2K Active Directory? Help!!!
    ... ---domains can remain NT until those Admins feel like doing their upgrade? ... Microsoft Online Partner Support ... Also, we already have a Server 2000 running our DNS and WINS, do I need ... Perform an inplace upgrade to Exchange 2000. ...
  • Re: How to protect from SMTP port abuse
    ... >> noticed an unsecured SMTP port; now spammers are routing so much mail ... >> supposedly addresses this) without also upgrading Windows, ... >> server that will block unauthorized access to SMTP, ... >> addicted they are to Exchange, so if you can suggest another NT-friendly ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • RE: Single Server Upgrade Exchange Question
    ... The Exchange Migration Wizard can migrate all user mailboxes. ... server and then import them to the destination server. ... Single Server Upgrade Exchange Question ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)